Chapter 87

"Do we really know it eez Snape?" Asked Fleur, "Somebody could 'ave been careless. Somebody let slip ze date to an outsider. It is ze only explanation for zem knowing ze date but not ze 'ole plan."

She glared around at them all, tear tracks still etched on her beautiful face, silently daring any of them to contradict her. Nobody did. The only sound to break the silence was that of Hagrid hiccuping from behind his handkerchief. Harry glanced at Hagrid, who had just risked his own life to save Harry's-- Hagrid, whom he loved, whom he trusted, who had once been tricked into giving Voldemort crucial information in exchange for a dragon's egg....

"No," Harry said aloud, and they all looked at him, surprised: The fire whisky seemed to have amplified his voice. "I mean... if somebody made a mistake," Harry went on, "and let something slip, I know they didn't mean to do it. It's not their fault," he repeated, again a little louder than he would usually have spoken. "We've got to trust each other. I trust all of you, I don't think anyone in this room would ever sell me to Voldemort."

More silence followed his words. They were all looking at him, he got a bit uneasy and drank some more fire whisky for something to do.

"Well said, Harry," said Fred unexpectedly.

"Yeah, 'ear, 'ear," said George, with half a glance at Fred and Maeve, the corner of their mouths twitched. Also Maeve was drunk, and had to hide her face in Freds side, to muffle her laughter.

Lupin was wearing an odd expression as he looked at Harry. It was close to pitying.

"You think I'm a fool?" demanded Harry.

"No, I think you're like James," said Lupin, "who would have regarded it as the height of dishonor to mistrust his friends."

Harry knew what Lupin was getting at: that his father had been betrayed by his friend Peter Pettigrew. He felt irrationally angry. He wanted to argue, but Lupin had turned away from him, set down his glass upon a side table, and addressed Bill, "There's work to do. I can ask Kingsley whether--"

"No," said Bill at once, "I'll do it, I'll come." He looked at Maeve and then back at Lupin. Who both now were unsure what to do.

"Where are you going?" said Tonks and Fleur together.

"Mad-Eye's body," said Lupin, looking over at Maeve. "We need to recover it. Uh Maeve." She looked up, her eyes were glassy and her cheeks were pink. Her lips were tightly closed as she tried to hide her laughter, "Are you drunk?" Everyone's heads snapped to the girl, Fred and George were snickering.

 Her lips were tightly closed as she tried to hide her laughter, "Are you drunk?" Everyone's heads snapped to the girl, Fred and George were snickering

"No." She hiccuped, and then she giggled. Then out of the blue, she kind of just sobered up, "His body is on the shoreline, there are two farms. One has a big red barn and the other a black or dark blue. Not really sure, maybe navy? Or like an indigo. Wouldn't say cobalt, too blue. Oh! Maybe like a denim!"

"Maeve!"

"Right. Two barns, ones red and the other... dark. He is somewhere in between, it's not a lot of distance between the two so I think you'll be able to find him." She hiccuped, "when I was catching my breath and taking a minute to compose myself, I surrounded him with flowers. So that might help." She hiccuped again, looking at the group. She was confused as to why everyone looking at her. "What."