Chapter 65

I sat on the small decorated platform, Baaz, Jai and Khushal sitting all around me amongst both of my moms brothers. The chooda already dipped in the little pot containing milk and rose petals to impure the bangles.  My eyes brimmed with tears watching both my parents and grandparents get emotional for what seemed like the first time. My dadi had never been someone who cried, she was like me, her personality identical to my own. She was my partner in crime when Baaz wasnt, a complete entertainer if I did say so myself. Seeing her cry made my heart wrench. Both my grandfather and father too had seemed to brush off the rough looks they carried around the house masking their own constant smiles. Baaz although still joked around, the look in his eyes however gave it all away. I try keeping the smile plastered to my fave focusing on anything but their faces.  The bangles perhaps. I'd always adored them, the vibrance of them or simply how they looked on. Even as a kid it was the first thing I'd notice on a recently married woman. I sighed letting a few tears drop cloud my eyes as they finished putting the last of the maroon red bangles on my hands, the kalire attached to the last. My mom was the first to walk over, take me into a quick embrace as I let my tears seep through her chunni. Perhaps I wouldve like living with them longer, spending more time back when I could've. Maybe they felt the same. We'd never talked about me being sent to a boarding school, it seemed to be a topic too sensitive to touch. She helped cover the bangles up, all except the first. The mehndi underneath had shown up just as dark as I'd expected, matching the maroon of the bangles. Baaz took me upstairs as per custom, dropping me to my room before heading back downstairs to the dj party they were having right outside. It was the continuation of the jaggo we'd completed a short while before. I restrained from attending, the giddy feeling not allowing me to fully embrace the happiness all around. Me being still angry at Sidharth was no help. I sat in my bed looking through pictures from both yesterday and the day before. We really did look good together, just as much as we always had. I frown as his name displays on my screen, the second time the last 5 minutes. I decline it yet again ignoring the messages he was sending until he threatened coming downstairs. I pick up his call deciding not to say a word. "Baby? Sorry na yr? Itna gussa kyun kr rahi hai tu? Mazaak se itna kyun chid gyi?" He questioned sounding completely exasperated by his breathy words. He was probably frustrated too, not talking or seeing each other for the rest of the day very obviously didn't go well with him.

Si - "Jaan? Baat toh krle na please? Abhi milne aaya toh bhi sirf daantegi, kal tak gussa hold pe rakh, poori raat baith kr mnna lunga agar manana prha bhi toh"

I let out a quick chuckle at that knowing for a fact he wouldnt do just that. "Mujhe pta hai aisa hona impossible hai. Kal to completely impossible" I murmur still laughing. "Haan toh meri glti nhi hai na ki main apni biwi se door nhi reh skta?" He questioned in return, his tone considerably calmer than it had been just seconds before. "Kal poora badle lungi makn bhi mazaak ka, dono shaadi k beech k hours bhi aap nhi mil skte mujhse" I murmur knowing Itd be the best revenge I could possibly take.

Si - "No fucking way, biwi hogi tu tab meri. I have the complete right to share a room with you."

S - "Maa ne bola hai bebu, nhi jaa skti main udhar raat tak. Follow toh krna padega na? Kasam hai tujhe. Ab chal soja aur mujhe bhi sone de"

"fuck off yr.... dimaag kharab hai na tera? Acha ek baar FaceTime toh krle? Fir chali jaana" he hissed very clearly upset.

S - "no way, seedha gurudware mein hi dekhe ga tu. Chal bye, I love you"

He huffs before repeating the same and ending the call. I relax back into the bed, taking the next half an hour to myself before I left to change and sleep the few number of hours I was getting.

Maahi shook me awake sooner than I'd thought, almost scaring me to death with the mask shed put on her face. "Shaadi k din Maarne ka plan hai kya tera? Soye huye insaan ko aise kaun uthata hai?"

M - "Nahi uthati toh ajj dulhan late ho jayegi, chup chap jaa kr naha tab tak main makeup aur hair team ko leke aa rahi hu. Jldi kr na"

I sigh getting out of bed, the lack of sleep evident from how utterly tired I felt. I took a quick shower changing into the blouse to the lehenga I was supposed to wear once all the makeup and hair were complete. I sat in the chair awaiting the makeup artists and Maahi who was meant to stay back and help me get ready. An hour later I sat back trying to keep from falling asleep, letting them finish off the leftover makeup before helping me into the lehnga and setting the two heavy chunnis. One lay across my shoulder covering the small bit of skin exposed by the lehnga while the other net one lay over my head set right over the mang tikka, pinned behind the jhumkas. I take off the cover from the choora, putting on the kalire and the gold bangles and bracelets , the ring part hooked into my middle fingers. My heels and payal were hooked on the next second completing the last of the look. Mom and dadi walked in seconds later gawing the entire look the entire way as the led me downstairs for some family pictures and rituals before we headed to the gurudwara. I was sure Maa had to practically lock Sidharth to the other side of the venue to keep him from peering like I knew he would any given chance. Especially after catching Khushal trying to send pictures. 

"Oye tu meri side hai ha uski?" I ask him making both Maahi and Jai chuckle sensing the dilemma we'd put him in. "Main toh dono se pisunga kisi din, ya toh yeh maar degi nhi toh woh toh hai hi. Jaani dushman bnn k baithe hai dono mere" he reverted sneaking through the crowd along with Baaz. I walked forward myself, helped into the car sooner than I'd thought I would be. I let out a number of breaths calming my trembling heart. It felt weird to be so nervous going to get married to someone I'd known for most of my life.  Maahi grinned at me holding my hand tight in hers. "Maine bola nhi hai tujhe lekin Im super happy for you. Yeh sab set nhi hota toh humein humari yeh Shehnaaz nhi milti vaapas." She whispered lightly pecking my cheek. I give her a quick smile falling into a simple conversation. We enter the gurudwara, me immediately taken to the room I was supposed to stay in until the actual marriage. I sat looking out the window as the chaos carried on behind me. I wanted to see all of them enter perhaps catch a quick glimpse of Sidharth before he was pulled inside. Mom left the room dragging Maahi along to bring me a few snacks for the next few hours making sure I didn't over exhaust myself before the entire ritual began.

*** We still have 1 more chapter to go..this book too is going to be a hard good bye just like the last. I really hope yall like tomorrow's chapter. Itll have anything and everything you'd expect. Looking forward to see your response.