Heartbeat

It was the day of my first ultrasound, I've spent many mornings, afternoons, and even nights in the bathroom throwing up, even London has gotten used to holding my hair back all sorts of hours of the mornings and nights, rubbing my back and stomach telling me it will be ok.

I really hated the feeling but I loved that he was so supportive. I've been looking quite pale these few weeks and persons from my office are starting to ask if I'm ok. I had a client straight up told me I looked pregnant, not in my stomach area but in my face she explained. I still don't know what she meant but somehow I knew she wasn't coming from a bad place.

I was in my closet looking for something to wear when I overheard London's conversation from the living area. "I'm sorry that happened to you Anna but I can't help with that right now, I'm busy. Anna listen to me, I can't, and yes I usually do but I can't this time." That girl is a pain in the ass and I bet she knows that I'm doing my ultrasound today.

I walked out of the closet dressed in black joggers, a white top, and my white converse. My hair was in a ponytail and I applied some lipgloss on my lips. I wasn't in the mood for makeup, I was a little pissy from overhearing his conversation.

London had made me breakfast like he normally does but I wasn't in the mood to eat so I told him I didn't want it. "Can you try to eat it, for the baby?" he finishes.

"No, I'll get something on the road," I glared at him. He stared at me for a minute and walked over to me.

"What are you upset about?" He asked

"I'm not upset, I'm just not hungry" I folded my arms in front of my chest.

He kissed my forehead and lifted my chin to leave a kiss on my lips. "Don't be mad at me for no reason now woman, and please take a bite for me" he fed me with French toast that was soaked in pancake syrup, my weakness. I eventually sat and finished everything on my plate, drank my tea then took my prenatal with some water.

"Good girl, I love you" he kissed me again.

We sat in Doctor Reynolds waiting area nervously listening for my name. "What gender do you think the baby is?" I asked him. "A boy, I feel like you'll have a boy" he smiled and it warmed my heart.

My name was called and we walked into Doctor Reynolds's office. "Hi Doctor Reynolds, this is my boyfriend London" my boyfriend? Oh, I guess that's what he is.

"Very good to meet you London," he offered his hand "and how are you doing Brielle?" He asked.

"Well, I've been throwing up a lot and I really hate it, that's my only problem," I told the good doctor.

"I'll prescribe something to help with that" he informed me.

Once again I'm in the hospital looking gown and laying on the examination bed. Doctor Reynolds tried doing the ultrasound the regular way but wasn't seeing much so he told us he'd have to do it the vaginal way.

I could see that London wasn't too thrilled about that but Doctor Reynolds was very professional and I guess because of that he relaxed a little.

A minute after he places the probe inside of me we could hear our baby's heartbeat. I couldn't help the tears that escaped my eyes and London was locked in on the screen. He looked shocked, amused, and happy.

He kissed my forehead and my face while the doctor explained what he was seeing and told us all was well with the baby, I couldn't see much of a baby I just saw a tiny pebble but I heard a strong heartbeat.

My next ultrasound date was set for a few months away. As soon as we left the Doctor I called my mother. "Hi baby girl," my mom answered on the second ring.

"Hi mom, I have something to tell you and Dad," I told her.

"Bry! Brielle's on the phone, come here!" my mom shouts. "Woman, why are you shouting?" I heard my father saying to my mother which caused me to smile. I'm so happy she's happy, I'm happy she's not alone anymore.

"Hey Princess, " my dad's voice brought me back.

"Hi Dad, so I'm just leaving the doctor and it turns out that you two will be grandparents in eight months, " I was nervous but I had to let them know.

The phone was on speaker and it went silent I had to check if they were still on the call, I took that time to forward a picture of my ultrasound to my mother's phone.

"Oh my Goodness Brielle, I'm so happy for you! I just want to hug you right now, " my mom was crying. My dad was still dead silent and it was worrying me.

"Princess, your mom and I are going to come to New York so we can sit and talk this weekend, " he said, no congratulations or nothing.

This weekend London's parents will be visiting us as well, to have them and my parents together and I've never even met them before sounds like a ball of nerves and possibly vomits for me.

I opened my eyes and London was sitting beside me in bed with the bedside lamp on, the ultrasound pictures, and a look of admiration at our little pebble. He noticed I was awake and spoke.

"I never knew I would be someone's father so soon baby. I can't thank you enough for carrying my baby, our baby, I will love and take care of you two with every breath I take. Before you, I didn't want much but with you Brielle I want everything. Please don't ever leave me, I love you and I love our baby" he reaches under the covers to rub my stomach and I allowed the happy tears to escape.

Everything has happened in the blink of an eye but I have no regrets and I love him like I've been with him for years. "I love you honey," I told him and rest my head on his chest while he bent his head to kiss my forehead.