It Matters How This Ends Part 16

The captain drove away.
We were alone.
The sand that was between our toes felt relaxing and warm.

"What is this, Al?"

"Don't you like it?"

"I love it! But how come we're here? Ooh wait a minute-this wasn't just a random boat drive! You planned this!"

"So what if I did? Can't a girl do something nice for the love of her life?", I said and kissed her cheek.

"It's beautiful. Thank you."

I felt relieved that she still had no clue of what was going on. I took her by the hand and walked around the little island with her.
After a 10 minute walk, we came to a hammock that was secured to a palm tree. In the hammock was a large, black and blue blanket. I took it out and placed it on the ground.

Piper was watching what I was doing and looked confused, but happy. I sat down on the blanked and tapped on it;

"Come, join me."

"With pleasure."

We sat on the blanket and cuddled. We looked up and saw small, white and shiny stars that were lighting up the night sky.

"That's you", I said, pointing at one star, "and that's me, right above you."

"Why are you above me?", she asked.

"So I can always watch over you and keep you safe."

Piper looked me in my eyes and then at my lips. Our faces were so close, that the tip of my nose was touching hers.

I pulled away and said;
"Stand up."

Piper stood up.

"Now give me your hand and help me get up.", I said.

She reached for my hand but instead of getting up, I kneeled down on one knee.