It Matters How This Ends Part 87

I downed the tequila shot and looked at Piper.

She was staring at her drink and it looked like she was in her own world.

"Pipes?"

She didn't even hear me.

"Piper.", I gently nudged her under the table with my leg.

"Huh, what?", she looked up to me.

"What's going on with you?"

"Nothing.", she took a sip of her drink.

"Tell me.", I insisted.

"I just..I can't believe this is happening. We should call the police."

"What?! Are you fucking kidding me?!", I shouted in a whisper.

"What we did was horrible, Alex."

"He tried to kill me!", I said, horrified.

"He only tried to, but we did it!"

"Only!? Wow, well maybe you should have let him do it and walk free."

She looked at me and raised her eyebrows;

"It's the right thing to do, Al."

"Where the fuck was your moral compass when you framed that tattooed kangaroo? Or when you fucked Maria over?!"

"Al..Shit! I'm sorry, I just, this is so fucked up.", she ran her fingers through her hair and sighed.

I reached over the table, put my hand on hers and looked her in the eyes;

"I'm sorry. Fuck. I know this is hard on you. You know I'm the master of handling things completely wrong."

She looked at me with her big blue eyes and I couldn't help but feel bad, even though it wasn't my fault. Not completely, anyway.

I looked across the bar and saw Nicky, with her hair even more messy than before and her hands all over a random chick.

"Look.", I chuckled and pointed at her.

Piper's mouth corners lifted as she smiled and it felt so good to see that smile.

I smiled, too and leaned across the table to be closer to her.

"What?", she looked at me.

"Nothing.", I chuckled; "I love you."

She put her hands on my cheeks and looked me in the eyes. Her mouth wasn't smiling anymore.

"I love you too, Al. So much.", she said in a soft, almost fragile voice, as if it and her heart would break any minute. 

"Hey, Nicky! There's two more hot chicks needing your service here!", I shouted across the bar.

Nicky turned around to see who said that when our eyes met. She put her arm around the chick next to her and whispered something in her ear, then came to our table.

"Oy, Chapman, Vause! What's up?!", she said, smiling big.