Kid!Frain: New Kid

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays My Friends!

Freddie watches as his ball rolls into the new neighbor’s yard, he contemplated stepping on the freshly mowed lawn but the front door swings open and a curly haired kid is racing down the porch, he’s fair skin, and bright hazel eyes. He has a baggy church camp t-shirt on that’s well faded and worn, a dirty pair of shorts on, his knees are scraped up covered in a multitude of cartoon theme bandaids and he was barefooted his feet cakes in dirt, “Hey is this your ball?”

Freddie snaps out of his staring, “Y-Yeah, but I didn’t want to intrude that last neighbors hit kids who went on their yard.”

Brian shakes his head he’s missing one of his bottom teeth his gum looked bruised near where the missing tooth was, “That’s not right.” he nudges the ball back to Freddie, “You folks want a loaf of bread to take home? Ma makes everything homemade even the junk food.”

Freddie catches the ball, “What?”

“Ma made some bread, you want some?” Brian opens the screen door for him, “Come in? There’s plenty.”

Freddie shrugs Brian was a kid like him; this wasn’t a stranger danger situation. Freddie happily follows Brian inside the house ball under his arm. The house was still littered with boxes which is to be expected they just moved in not too long ago, 

“Ma, my friend wants Honey Wheat Bread!” Brian hollers entering what was the kitchen,

A woman was kneading bread, her dark hair was pinned back and she had a flour stained apron on and a yellow sundress on she too was barefooted but her feet were clean, “Ah! See Brian you’re a good salesman!” she had a light Scottish accent, 

So his name was Brian, huh? Freddie bounces on his heels, as the woman turns around, “I’m Ruth May, this is my son Brian. And what’s your name little man?”

Freddie beams he was called a man and he’s only six! Ruth plops a huge loaf of bread wrapped in parchment paper, “Let Brian walk you home!” she also hands Freddie a small basket of homemade sweets, “Toodles!”

Freddie ignores how cold the house was his mama taught him not to ask such invading questions like that and keep personal life out of friendships. But Freddie doesn’t listen, when does he ever? He’s only six! And Brian’s only five for crying out loud, they don’t have a filter! 

Brian carries Freddie’s ball and walks him to his house. Freddie puts the food inside his house and his mother tells him to thank the Mays for their kindness. Freddie follows after Brian like a puppy afterward, he notices even when they walk on the freezing cold sidewalk he isn’t bothered by it, he keeps on walking. Maybe a whimper would leave his lips but he wasn’t complaining. Brian kept a cheery smile in his face as he walked and talked to Freddie.

Freddie can’t bite back what he wants to he could hear his mother scolding him right now and tan his ass more with her wooden spoon of pain, “Where’s your shoes? Don’t you have any?”

Brian stops walking and faces him, “Oh barefooted?” his feet were hurting him really badly they are numb from the cold and he knows they won’t heat up until they’re under the covers since their home doesn’t have any heat in it yet, “Daddy lost his job and we lost our house so we moved into dead granny’s home most of our stuff got lost… like mine and mummy’s shows. He said you can either have heat or you can have shoes but you can’t have both.” 

Freddie roughly guess that Brian’s his age making him six and he knows every six-year-old needs shoes especially since a snowstorm should be crippling the town tomorrow on Christmas Eve. Freddie leads him inside the white folks church he was vowed to never go into for fear of being lynched by the high and mighty rich folk. 

“Here.” Freddie whispers sneaking into the closet where the clothes donation to the poor are kept, “Here.” he hands Brian a pair of worn boots and a pair of sneakers. Brian tears up covering his mouth, “M-Mine?”

Freddie nods his head and rummages around for more, “Some socks too and here some shoes for your ma.” he hands Brian some winter clothing for him and his ma along with a few nice thick blankets shoved far into the back for some reason.

Brian cries and puts on the sneakers and socks Freddie follows after him as he races home to get his mama her shoes and winter clothes. Ruth hugs Freddie tightly and thanks him over and over again, she calls him little man again and the best neighbor ever which makes Freddie beam. He notices a sad little Christmas tree shoved into the corner barely any presents underneath it and hardly any ornaments. It makes him feel sad there weren't any presents underneath it. Freddie hugs Brian’s goodbye and races home to his mama and explains what’s going on. She got a plan going and on Christmas Day they show up at the Mays two huge wagons full of presents for Brian and Ruth, Harold looks pissed  that his wife and son are getting the essentials they need that his salary can not afford too. He storms out cussing Freddie and his mother out calling them filthy humans that needed to be bleached.

Freddie didn’t let that affect him; he just watched happily as Brian opens up his presents thanking everyone, Freddie would never tell that he gave away some of his own presents. The boys play with each other and have a blast, the tucker themselves out around noon. They curl up on Brian’s bare mattress on the floor sharing a large furry blanket. Ruth and Freddie’s mom was very happy their sons are best friends. They were perfect for each other and they had a good Christmas, that’s all that mattered for the parents.