Maylor: Angel

Roger stumbles as he runs through the clouds his halo practically blinding him, the angel’s wings flutter a little. He was assigned a case and he was a little late to it, then again he’s always late and the boss wasn’t very happy about that. Roger went through the portal and landed on the roof of Saint Helga’s Orphanage, he flaps his wings and flies down. He sees his case, a boy with a messy mop of dark curls sobbing on a cheap urine and bug infested bed, he’s about 16. Roger tries to figure out how to get in.

Brian drops the rosary a sob escapes his lips as he sits on the little bed in the cramped corner, “Mama.” he cries for, “I want mama!”

The lights are shut off and the door is locked, Brian keeps crying and shaking. He chokes on his spit as feathers hit him in the face. A young man with grand ashy white wings and a huge halo hovers in front of him, the creature is the perfect version of an angel, long blond hair, pale blue eyes, and a youthful face.

“Who are you?” Brian asks 

“Your angel,” Roger huffs, he sticks his hands out, “Hands, put your empty hands in mine.”

Brian cocks a brow and does as told he starts to float upwards, “Woah!” Brian gasps clinging onto him like a scared baby monkey.

Roger goes out the window and he rests in a nearby oak tree, “Why are you here?” Brian manages to ask sitting next to him.

“Your scars,”

“My scars?” Brian looks at his wrists which were filled with scars.

“You were going to relapse and that would have ended your life.”

“So you’re my guardian angel?” Brian asks.

“Sure let’s call me that.”

Brian fiddles with his fingers, “Am I going to hell?”

Roger cocks his head, “Why would you?”

“I’ve sinned.” he points to his “battle scars” on his wrists.

“Our boss loves all her children.” Roger says pulling a cigarette out of his toga, “She  knows her creations can be flawed that’s why she made us.” Roger jabs a finger into his own chest, “But not all of us win with our humans.”

Roger stands up on the branch and flutters his wings a lit cigarette in his mouth, “Come on.” he snaps his fingers, making wings appear on Brian.

“Watch the birds.” Roger says pointing to nine crows stand flapping their wings and pecking,

Brian flaps his wings watching some feathers fall the birds take off in flight, Brian holds his breath and tries to take off, Brian screams and falls off the branch but Roger grabs him by his thin arm, “Come on, you’re coming with me, bird boy.”

Brian manages to half ass fly alongside Roger. It was piss poor and he was hardly making it. Brian faintly saw something that looked like a door. He tried to go faster but his wings stopped fluttering, his mind going blank and he was coming down hard, he screamed.

“Oh hell no!” Roger screams diving down after him, “You’re not meeting big daddy today!”

Brian cries out as a burning pain on his shin he thrashes around trying to get it to stop; he gasps when a green glow surrounds him and his vision blackens. He is standing in a small looking apartment, Brian groans a throbbing burning pain aching on his shin, he looks down to see a gnarly handprint burned onto his flesh, “Sorry about that.” Roger says with a nervous laugh before flicking his cigarette bud out the window, “Had to save your ass before you met the devil.”

“Oh,” Brian looks at the window where the cigarette bud was thrown out of, “Where do the buds go?” Brian asks,

“Huh? Oh! I think you humans call them ‘shooting stars’!”

Brian’s face fell, “You mean we wish on cigarette buds not stars?”

Roger tries to brighten him up, “Hey no, some are stars!”

Brian looks up at him, “Promise?”

“I promise.”

“What about my mama, will I see her here?” Brian asks.

Roger knew the living couldn’t see the dead up here it’s beyond human understanding, “Sadly no she’s going through processing and then she may be here. But processing takes about a year, sorry.” Roger fibs a little.

Brian nods, he hugs Roger tight and kisses his cheek, “Thank you for being my friend and being so kind to me. You’re the only friend I got.”

Roger felt awful for Brian but he vows to himself that’ll he’ll find Brian a human friend back on Earth, but for now Brian will be staying with him under his watchful eye, I mean what’s the worst an absentminded guardian angel can do?

Brian seemed to enjoy his new life with Roger the boy was putting on weight even if finding food for him to eat was a pain, “I’m not eating that it’s an animal.”

And Roger was falling for Brian, he made Roger’s heart sing and bounce around in his chest. He wanted Brian to be his but he can’t angels have rules to follow and must not break. To cope with this Roger got Brian a human best friend a young boy named John but as the young men grew they started to fall in love with each other, and Brian called for Roger less and less, he was being forgotten. But one day Brian calls to him crying his heart out John had left him for a Catholic woman, said he needed to get married for real.

That broke Roger more and more, he helps Brian pick up the broken pieces and helps him cope without harming himself. But then Brian falls for Roger not being taught the rules of human and angels, he decides to be brave and win Roger over. He made him dinner which Roger attempted to eat even if it would make him sick, he and Roger went on a nice long walk together with some flying involved. Then as they sit in the yard watching the sunset, he kisses Roger making all the old feelings Roger had come back, and he kisses back sealing his fate,

He screams his halo shattering the shards scatter around him he no longer has the holy light he can barely see he has to squint for everything. Then his wings turn pitch black and the feathers fall one by one, he can hear Brian’s confused screams but can’t help him. Then the horrid sounds echo throughout the wooded area his wings are ripped from his body which in turn would leave horrid jagged scarring to remind him forever that he fell from God’s graces, all because he fell in love with a human and not with a creature like himself. He will never forgive himself but at least he has Brian to drown his sorrows in,