Froger and Breaky: Cupcake War

Freddie’s POV:

I tapped my foot impatiently as I stood in line to sign up for the baking contest that would be held during Kingston’s Annual Holiday Festival. It was the first year that they added it to the festival, and I was jumping at the opportunity to show people my skills. Also, not only would the five-thousand dollar grand prize help my bakery, but if more people tasted my pastries, they would come to my bakery more, too.

“Next!”

I walked up to the table where two elderly women sat on the outside, papers sitting in front of them. The woman on the right smiled at me, handing me a form and pen.

“Just fill this out, and as long as you qualify, you can be a competitor in the competition. If you have any questions, ask for Suamalie, A.K.A. me,” Suamalie instructed. 

I nodded and walked to the unoccupied chair off to the side. Sitting down, I sighed. This was it. This was my big chance to make my baking known. After five minutes, I had filled the entire form out, so I handed it back in and walked out of the town hall. Once in my car, I turned on my music through the radio (a mix of Eric Church, Luke Combs, Kelsea Ballerini, Miranda Lambert, and Carrie Underwood).

After fifteen minutes, I pulled my car into the parking lot of Freddie and Roger’s Kupcakes. Freddie and Roger’s Kupcakes was the business that I had started eight years, five months, and seventeen days before with my best friend, Roger. We split everything when it came to the business; costs, profits, and what you got to take home free.

I got out of my car and headed inside. Even though the shop was closed, Roger was still working. As I walked in, he was finishing wiping down the tables, “Hey, Freddie. I was looking at our profits in the last month, and they’ve been going down at an insane rate. If we don’t do something, then we’ll have to close,” Roger gushed. My eyes went down to the floor in disappointment. 

That meant that if I didn’t win this competition, Roger, our employees, and I would be out of a job, “Oh. That’s not good. But, I signed up for the baking competition during the festival today. That’s we I was while you were e cleaning up. Thanks for that, by the way. We just have to beat everyone else, including Brian, and business will shoot way up. Okay, Roggie?” I said hopefully.

“Yeah, okay.”

Brian’s POV

“I don’t know, John. The only good part about it would be beating Freddie and Roger across the street. That I would love to see,” I admitted. 

A smile slowly formed across my face at the thought of winning, especially up against Freddie and Roger’s Kupcakes. I hated those two. They were snobby, goody-two-shoes, and insulting.

“Brian, think about it. We would get great publicity, the five-thousand dollars could help us with everything, and, yes, we would get the upper hand on Freddie and Roger. It’s a win-win for everyone! On our side, anyway,” John snickered. 

He had a point, a good one, too. But, I was too shy to have my baking be tasted by some of the best bakers in the city of Liverpool. Especially Frances Atkins, Jamie Oliver, and Gordon Ramsey, celebrity actors known all across the UK.

“Come on, John. I don’t think it’s possible.”

“For the last time, don’t you want to beat  Freddie and Roger? We could have the ability to rub it in their faces for a whole year. All the way up until next year’s festival. Wouldn’t that be wonderful?” John  clasped his hands toget and grinned. At that point, I couldn’t help myself.

“Fine. I’ll get us signed up. Let’s beat those cheaters.”  

Roger’s POV:

The day of the competition had finally come! Freddie and I stood in front of our business computer, looking at the host of the festival through the screen. Due to COVID-19, we had to do everything virtually. All rules were being told to us through the Zoom meeting.