Taylor Family: First Halloween

"I'm ready Daddy!" Rory came running in her parents room, beaming with pride, because she had put her costume on all by herself.

"Oh, you look great sweetie! Let me take a picture." Roger took his phone out and took a quick picture.

"Well, I'm ready too. Mommy’s in the living room, let's go." The two went out to Dominique, who was sitting on the couch.

"Mommy, look at me!" Dominique spun her daughter around.

"Oh you look great, darling."

"What about Daddy? See? We all match!"

Rory wanted them all to dress up as a royal family so that she could be a princess, her mom could be a queen and her dad could be a king.

"Dad looks lovely too." she said, looking lovingly at her husband. He did look beautiful.

"What do you think? Did I do the costume right?" she asked, doing a little spin.

"You look perfect Mommy! Can we go get candy now?" Rory whines bouncing on her tippy toes.

The two parents laughed. "Alright, alright. Get your bucket."  Dom said.

Rory grabbed her pumpkin-shaped, pink glittery bucket and took her parents' hands.

"Come on! Come on!" And out the door they went.

This was Rory's first Halloween trick-or-treating and she was beyond excited. Which made it Dominique's and Roger's first time taking their child trick-or-treating. Dom was excited to see the reaction her daughter would have to it all. Roger was a little nervous about going out in public in a costume, as well as his family's safety. They would be together the whole time of course, but still. A couple years ago, one family in the neighborhood got hit by a drunk driver.

They went door to door. staring in amazement at the costumes and decorations. Each house, she sweetly said "Trick-or-treat!" with a big smile. Candy and little toys would be put in her bucket. "Thank you!" she giggled and ran back to her parents, then on to the next house.

They were walking by a bunch of bushes, when someone jumped out, yelling BOO! in Rory's face. They had on a very realistic zombie costume. Rory screamed and started crying.

"Oi! Take your freakiness somewhere else, why don't ya!" Roger pushed the guy into the bush while Dominique picked up her daughter.

"It's okay baby, it's okay. It's just a mask."

"Are you sure, Momma? I don't wanna get eaten by a zombie!" Rory wails,

"Yes, I'm sure hun. Zombies aren't real anyway." Dominique reassured her, “They only happen in movies.”

They kept walking down the street until they reached the park. Rory had calmed down enough, as soon as she saw the playground she asked, "Momma, Dad, can I go play?"

"Sure darlin'. We'll be right here." Roger said.

Dom set her down and took her bucket. Rory ran off to go play with a few other kids on the playground glittering rained down from her costume leaving a pretty pink trial.

Roger and Dominique sat on a bench and watched their daughter, "See? It's not so bad." Dom said.

Roger put an arm around her and kissed her head. "Yea, yea. But that asshole earlier.."

They watched Rory as she ran around, going down slides and across zip-lines in her little princess dress. They let her play for almost an hour.

"Rory! It's time to go to Grandma's!" Roger called. Rory went down a slide and ran to them.