McLennon: Opposites

John steps onto the side of the road and he looks down at the wounded deer it’s struggling to breath. It's a twisted mangled mess. Maybe a truck hit it? John shushes the frightened creature, “I’m sorry, love. All I can offer you is death.” he places three fingers against the deer’s forehead and the thing goes still.

John sees their soul standing tall next to him, John hugs them and sends them on their way. He’s then sent flying to a hospital a woman lays in bed her husband weeping at her bedside begging God to let her live. John could already see the woman’s life was already over. She fought a mighty battle and it was time for her eternal slumber. John places his hand over her closed eyes and her soul appears next to him. She's healthy again, “My baby!” the woman screams as the heart monitor flatlines, “Where’s my baby?!”

John takes her by the hand leading her down the hall past the doctors rushing to her room, and into the nursery where a doe eyed boy was kissing a baby on the head.

“There’s your son. He’s alive and well.” John says he’s never allowed any soul to do this before he didn’t know why he did with this woman.

The woman sniffles a tear runs down her cheek and starts to fade as her hands touch her baby boy for the last time then she’s gone, “I wish I could have made her live again, Death.” doe eyed boy says,

John lights a cigarette, “For the last time, Life, call me John that’s the human name I want to be called by.” he smokes, “Plus you can only give life to something only one time.”

“I know.” Life sighs sadly then looks up to John, “Well if you want to be John, I want to be Paul.” 

“Fine, Paul.” John blows some smoke out of his mouth.

Paul gives him a look, “I don’t get why you talk so mean.” 

John fixes his sunglasses, “Got to go a child is dying.” he poofs off in a cloud of black smoke leaving Paul stunned in the nursery,

“Oh you bitch.” Paul poofs out in a cloud of white.

They keep meeting after that and John wasn’t happy, after all life and death wasn’t meant to mix together. Soon a meeting is called to discuss the human and animal affairs down on Earth,

“Wisdom good see ya!” John yells slinging his arm around her shoulder,

“John, remember we are trying to use our human names. I’m Linda.” Linda tells him firmly yanking his arm off and twisting it behind his back making him squeal like a tied piglet.

“Enough.” Brian’s voice cuts in, “Now the humans are in trouble.”

“Why, Logic?” John asks, Brian flicks his nose,

“Richard started another plague.” Paul rolls his eyes huffing arms crossed, 

“In my defense I didn’t think humans were dumb enough to eat bats after that one guy bit off bat heads.” Richard says huffily.

“Oh for crying out loud they eat chocolate! Humans take our warnings and make them edible.” Linda says tossing her blond hair over her shoulder, her beauty shown in the natural light.

“John, Paul, you two are working overtime now. Hopefully we get this fixed before next year.”

"What!" Paul bursts out of his chair, "I don't want to work with him!" 

John flicks some ashes from his cigarette, "Don't get your wings twisted angel." 

"Demon." Paul spits fluttering his black wings.

"Angel." John says messing with his snow white wings.

The two huff and poof back down to Earth in their respected clouds of white and black. John blinks he's in a dark room it's warm he's been hear before, "Come now." his voice echoes lifting his hands out for the little ball of static, "I'm sorry the humans we put you with didn't want you." he pets the static gingerly.

The static nudges his cheek as if to say there's no harsh feelings they understand. John teleports the static to a hall with doors and names written on the door, "Where would you like to go now little one?" 

The static bounces from door to door finally stopping at a door with a single name on it, "You want to go with her?"

The static buzzes loudly humming, "Alright. Alright." John opens the door, "Welcome to your new life. May I never see you for a long while, little one." 

And the door closes behind them John can feel the soft humming then it stops. They have been planted.

John teleports himself to where Paul is, he's in the forest helping a doe have her cubs. One looks sickly on the verge of death, Paul glares at John as if to say go away.

"I'm not here for her. She's a fighter." John's voice was soft it only gets like this after he dealt with a soul like that.

"You had another one?" Paul's voice was soft too more soft then normal, "I hate when humans do that." 

"Yes, yes. But not everyone is ready to carry life." John speaks softly taking Paul's hand squeezing his soft danity hand.

The two angels stood on top of the hill hand in hand watching the sunset like they have done for all eternity. One is dawned in all black he's the angel of life and ones dawned in white he's the angel of death. They both stand sullen thinking about the little ball of static and they hope the little one got their chance like everyone should have.

The two bump against each other, "Well I got to fly, I'm needed in China." Paul says softly.

"I'm needed in Africa." John chuckles.

Life kisses Death and takes off wings fluttering as hard as he can. Death shakes his head calling Life an idiot before flying away himself to where he is needed. The two didn't know why they kissed they just felt like it. And now they have changed their faithes.