Chapter 62: Family Letters

Ely's POV:

What...were these?

I received letters from the Beaucamp men after months of no contact with them.

The old Alaina's feelings for her brothers and father are those of an obedient daughter and a caring sister.

It is truly a parallel to my relationship with my own family.

I wonder...how Joseph and Dante we're doing. Are they okay? Did my death on Earth hurt them?

My passing was something unexpected and it works so fast that I never even said my goodbyes to Mama and my brothers.

It was reassuring that Alaina from before had a nice family. It is sorta cliche if I have something like a drunk father and abusive, neglectful siblings...

I opened the letter as I enjoyed tea near the culinary house's backyard where I could get a glimpse of the Knight's training grounds.

It was a rather balmy day as I took out the letter that belonged to "Yusef"

It began with...

To my sister, Ely

Imagine my surprise when I heard from Father that you got married. I thought that maybe you accepted that pig who kept sniffing after you.

Thank the Goddess you married someone else. My source about Duke Ezran is that he is usually feared by his enemies and allies alike but his men seem to be loyal to him.

I wonder if he is treating you well? Tell me if you are alright. As of now, My job makes it impossible to visit you but I sweat the moment my campaign is over, I will visit.

Take care.

Your eldest brother, Yusef

My mind suddenly recalled Yusef from the past month that Alaina and the various dreams that kept me company at night.

Yes.....He has Red-brown Hair and Lavender Green gradient-like eyes. A very odd yet mystical eye colour.

Very similar to my second brother on Earth, Joseph.

But it seems like he is the older brother here in this world.

He also seems very protective of his sister in the memories and would always try to make her feel better.

"What...are the odds..." I feel an unwanted affection for this brother that I have never met as I read Dhante's letter.

If Yusef's missive were sweet and caring...

This one is more of the opposite.

**

This brat's letter was informal but I can sense that it was out of worry since he uses blunt words.

To my sister, Ely

What in the world were you thinking? Father send us letters and told us that you got married! Married!

You told me you would wait for us to come home but I suppose you did what you could in your circumstances, given that we were all sent to war.

At least write back and tell me you are safe and happy. I have heard lots of rumours surrounding your "husband" and none of them makes me think that he would be a doting spouse to a fragile sweet girl like you.

This stupid campaign for the Empire might take another year and Yusef's unit might take longer.

Please write back at least once to help get my mind off you because I worry a lot about you.

Your younger brother,
Dhante

I smiled as I recalled an energetic young man in Alaina's memories who would play with her in the forest or take her on hiking and fishing trips every month until he was sent to the academy to be trained.

He also had brown hair and he also has sea-green eyes like my father from this world.

Then lastly, the brown envelope with the sigil of a Golden World Tree with Roots forming a Circle around it on a Green Flag. I have studied the peerage books and knew that this was the symbol of the Beaucamp Family.

I was even more apprehensive because, for some reason, I cannot recall his face even as I search through the old Alaina's memories.

Nervous about what he has to say. I ate some cookies and washed them down with tea before reading the letter.

Alaina,

Please forgive your father for being incompetent that you had to bargain with the duke to save my life.

How are you? Is he treating you well? I have heard that Dranvelle is a very large city with fewer forests and more parks and gardens. I do wonder if you would be alright given your love for the outdoors.

Things at Beaucamp Manor are hectic right now with the harvest and repairing of old rooms and warehouses that the tenants are using so I won't be able to write or visit for a while.

Please send word to me so that I know that you are happy with your current life.

I wish you all the best, my daughter.

Your loving father,
Loris Beaucamp

I felt myself blink back my tears at the concern they have for Alaina. It made me miss my family even more.

Ah...Alaina.You have good brothers and a doting father. It made me wonder...

Would you have survived had I not taken your place?

Just then I felt something touch the back of my head. I flinched at the cool stroke of a slender hand so I turned around to see if someone was there...

But I was alone.

"Am I....feeling things?"

I turned around and folded the letters from the Beaucamp family as I asked a maid to clean the table.

" Milady, you don't have much to submit today. What would you like to do?" Linda asked

I thought hard about it. The expenses and payroll for the month have already been confirmed and submitted to Pierce and I finished planning the menu for the next 2 months with the chef. My meeting with Milford and Mrs. Yates is not until Friday.

And these were the rare days that I don't want to cook or experiment with a new dish for a while.

"I'll be reading a few books and take a nap till dinner, Linda. "

"Yes, milady."

She helped me out of my day dress and I cleaned myself with a damp cloth before she helped me dress in a light sleep gown. I picked up some of my favourite lurid novels that feature forbidden love between two characters of different social classes.

Like where the prince fell in love with his knight or the duke falls in love with his maid.

They were fun to read and helped me loosen up since I have taken up much of the work my husband does.

"Milady, do you need me to bring some iced tea or water?"

"Just water Linda and please ask the kitchen to put some honey and lemon slices please."

"Yes milady, I'll be right back."

I watched my maid bow and leave to get my drink. Linda should be rewarded for her loyalty to me...

Maybe soon.

I sat down on my comfy couch and tried to read where I left off but for some reason...

I dozed off, my eyes became heavy the instant peace reigned in my room.

That was when I felt the same sensation in the garden after reading those letters.