Chapter 91: A Woman Scorned

Margaret's POV:

I had thought that being isolated in this wretched war campaign would make the duke eager for my company.

Employing my best chef and procuring the most high quality ingredients, I infiltrated his camp under the guise of donating food for his army.

I have never done this for any of the lords vying for my attention but what do I get after all my hard work?

Ezran reprimanded me and coldly turned away from the sumptuous feast my chef prepared for him.

Only for me to see him outside the open field where the soup kitchen was erected by that...that woman's so called protege!

He even seems to be enjoying that bloody stew and soup as he smiled and spooned the last bit of food into his mouth.

And approached the girl and they talked a bit. His broad back relaxed as the idiot girl replied on quiet tones.

Before he left and joined the otemhers back at the mess hall.

I glared at this Elena girl. She upstaged me with such paltry offerings?! She should learn her place.

After making sure that the duke was busy, I asked a few men I have already charmed and whispered a few words to them.

A few coins were exchanged and I smirked as I went back to the banquet where the nobles and senior knights were enjoying themselves with the food.

My eyes sought out Duke Ezran as I purposely sat on the empty seat beside him, which made everyone stare at their lord.

A moment of silence and I smiled, thinking that he must have accepted my move but he stood up and bid everyone a good evening meal as he decided to retire.

My hands trembled with resentment as I followed him shamelessly till we were alone in the corridor.

"Your Grace, will you ignore me again? Even amongst the nobility, your manners should at least acknowledge a lady when she calls out for you." I cried out to him and he stopped.

"Lady Lorax. Why are you really here?" He asked as he looked at me with the same cold gaze.

He used to be so accomodating and sauve, sweeping me off for a quick tryst and stolen kisses whenever we met.

But now, the frigid way he treats me...

No! I refuse to believe that our time together was nothing to him!

"My love, I am here for you. The affection I hold for you is great that I even went this far just to be with you. Milord, you must feel frustrated after such a long day. Allow me to comfort you." I reached a hand out to him as I gave him my most inviting smile.

No man can resist me when I push them this far. That bitch Alaina won't know what hit her once I seduce the duke.

A swift movement from him and I felt his hand slap mine away. The air around me suddenly became....difficult breathe.

I gasped and gagged when I could not seem to summon enough air as he leaned down and grabbed my chin.

"Let me make this clear. I have one wife and I only want her. The next time you approach me, you will stop breathing all together. " His red eyes blazed with such cold fire as I felt my breathing becoming even more labored as a haze of darkness surrounded us both.

Th-this is the rumored power of darkness he was so famous for in the battle field...

Such power....

Then in an instant later, it was gone as I was able to breath again. I fell on my knees as I rubbed my chest, frantically gasping for air as the duke straightened up.