Chapter 105: Prince Oshu

Bel's POV:

"What happened? Why did the duke leave so suddenly?" I asked Joel, one of the twin knights that Ezran left in charge.

The knight whose faced was covered with a mask, replied immediately.

"News of a few rebels infiltrating Guthrie reached the lord's ears. The duchess tried to protect the city gates and the duke went ahead to check on her."

"Dear Goddess. Is she alright?" Elliot, my younger brother the 3rd Prince asked. He has the same eye color as I but his silver hair had a touch of blue sheen on it. He has not met the duchess yet but is aware of how much the duke treasures her.

Amongst my brothers, I liked him the most because he was the least corrupted by his mother's schemes

"We are not sure, Your Highness, Please excuse me...." Joel answered him before he moved away.

I am pretty sure that those rebellious insurgents will be weeded out once the duke arrives.

News of the Fall of Guthrie Kingdom was on everyone's lips after the death of its king at the hands of the Duke of Aisenburg.

But what surprised everyone was how fast the clean-up was. The standard time for every conquered territory is about a year at the most.

But somehow everything has been done in just 6 months. Remnants of the deceased king's supporters have been killed or imprisoned and the surrounding towns and villages have accepted their fates.

But the rumors that floated around were incredible to behold. They say that the duke's wife took over supervising the soldier cooks making food which is why the quality has improved so much that the men were energized for every battle or mission they encounter.

I even heard of new food being crafted by the duchess that is eaten by the knights and soldiers alike. Things like Sheperd's Pie, Meatball Croquettes, Hearty stews and even desserts I have never tasted like Wild Potato Cakes  and Potato Bread Puddings.

She was even revered by the locals and knights as a "Cooking Goddess" according to the rumors.

My mouth was drooling with the possibilities of finally trying her cooking when I heard that I was assigned by Father to accompany my brother Elliot to his new territory and to serve as a translator to our honored guest.

The 13th Prince of Ryu. Prince Oshu.

He replaced the previous representative a few months ago after he heard of the delicious cakes being served in the Palace. (which was courtesy of the Duchess of Aisenburg)

When I heard that she was cooking at her husband's camp.

I wondered who was baking this month's cake and was surprised to learn from my butler that the duchess trained the current head chef of Cafe Terra to make the cakes and the Cherry Ripple Cake that my sisters have been loving lately, was his creation.

I visited the lively and popular Cafe Terra and was happy to see a familiar face.

Neo was once a low-tiered chef from the Royal Palace until he quit after assisting the duchess in remaking the cakes that were ruined.

He seems happier with where he was now. His position as a cafe chef was a humbler existence than a royal chef apprentice but I have never seen him at peace and so eager to work before.

He also seems to have bulked up and his appearance was much more dignified and he even gave me a basket of some of the cafe's best sellers.

A new flavor, Strawberry Swirl Cream Roll Cake and some Chicken Chipotle Buns. All of which were dishes he devised and perfected with Lady Alaina's guidance and help.

It also shows that the Duchess can bring out a certain talent from people if she was been able to train Neo and mold him into an exceptional cook.

And now I am on my way to see that talented woman again.

After more than a year after meeting her, I wonder how she is doing....

Normally, the prince's welfare is above everything but I cannot have the only chef who has a chance of pleasing Prince Oshu to fall in danger so I let the duke go to her.

We cannot have her falling sick and incapable of cooking a feast.

"*First Prince, I hope that this lady you speak of can appease my cravings for food from my homeland."Prince Oshi's bored voice broke my inner musings.

(*He is speaking in Ryuen, the official language of Ryu. It is similar to Japanese)

"*I believe the food she makes will appease you. Prince Oshu. She is the wife of a good friend of mine and has been informed of our arrival." I spoke politely as is the custom of his people.

People from Ryu wear these flowing garments called kimonos and pants resembling skirts called hakama.

The prince is wearing an expensive kimono made of red silk with the eastern dragon pattern and light cream-colored umanori (hakama pants with a clear division), the edges tucked into black boots edged with fur.

He was 8 years younger than me which makes him 20 years of age and he seems pampered and spoiled with over 20 samurai guards for an entourage.

I managed to convince him to bring only 4 of his best warriors on this trip.

"I hope so. The Palace food was too rich and salty. No hint of restraint and delicacy. Ryuen food takes the art of boiling and grilling fish and meat to the next level.." he scoffed. "Let us hope she can satisfy my royal palate."

I listened to his praises on God knows whatever food preparation he was saying, nodding and making a sound every few minutes.

The 13th prince is a well-known snob when it comes to food in the Exotic Lands. He lauded Ryuen cooking as the best in the world.

He could also pass for a pretty girl if he did not have a noticeable Adam's apple.

But he does know good food and Illios trades a lot of silks, jade, gold and perfumed oils as wells as soybeans, rice wine vinegar, and plum wine and other products among other things with their kingdom.

So I have to keep him happy to secure another trade agreement father wanted.

I just hope the young duchess came up with something to please him.

Pleasing him is a matter of great importance for the continued prosperity of the holy kingdom.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The very few times I do an inspection visit of Ezran's camp. It was always orderly but I can see visible signs of fatigue and homesickness on the knight's faces but now I can see that the castle and city walls are being rebuilt and the smells of bread, smoke, and herbs were really enticing as our carriage drove past the cobblestone road.

All the soldiers were lined up to receive us with Ezran and his senior knights upfront the castle's front courtyard.

As the carriage pulled upfront. I went out first while Prince Oshu followed, flanked by his samurai warriors.

"Greetings to the rising suns of our kingdom." My friend greeted us first as he bowed.

Every one of his knights knelt down with their heads bowed.

"Rise, Duke Aisenburg. Thank you for greeting us. My brother Prince Elliot has been chosen to be the new governor of Guthrie."I stepped aside for my brother, who greeted the duke.

Ezran for his part, maintains an aloof but polite air as he made his greetings to Elliot.

"May I introduce the 13th Prince of Ryu. His Highness Prince Oshu Minoru." I stepped back to let the Eastern prince greet Ezran.

"I have heard that you are a great warrior who won a recent battle." The haughty foreign prince looked at Ezran for some time before his delicate lips turned slightly upwards.

Up until now, the prince has never smiled. But now it appears as if he was interested in duke Ezran....