Chapter 94: Mother's Muffins

Ely's POV:

The next morning...

"Oh? S-so the duke knows your true identity?" Lorelei frowned and cursed softly that even I was taken aback for noble ladies who cuss so confidently are unusually rare. "Those knights! I was suspicious when they led you away to pick some berries when we could have done that early in the morning. There is only one person who has a grudge against you."

"You mean Lady Lorax? I had suspected as much but..but how did you know?"

"I overheard a few servants talking while we were walking down the hall. According to them, your husband tortured the knights who were bribed to lure you to the sleeping grounds of the were boars. One of them spilled the beans and said it was Lady Margaret's wishes and after that..." She shivered. "The Duke had them killed for attempted murder."

I swallowed and felt guilty for a bit but the law in this world belongs to the nobles and as the most powerful duke in Illios. My husband has the right to kill anyone who dares to harm his family.

"On...the good side. The captured were boars replenished our storage and larders. They say it was due to your quick thinking."

"Thanks, Lorelei. Shall we get ready for breakfast? There is a lot I want to teach you about food."

"Oh, I am always ready."

As we helped each other dress up, we made our way to the main kitchen.

"I am just curious about you Lorelei. You can always learn some other more lady-like endeavors to please your father but why go so far as to study cooking? Cooking is considered a male profession ."

"But what about you? Your food is better than most of the fare I have tasted and you seem to be enjoying it and the joy of being able to create something that makes people smile and invigorate them. It is something I felt when you made that coffee float drink. I never felt such happiness and wonder at something being made right before my eyes." Lorelei answered. "and I...also hope that maybe cooking will bring me closer to my mother."

"Your mother?"

She smiled sadly and told me that her mother used to take charge of the baron's kitchens and baked the most delicious cupcakes and muffins. She passed away early and it affected her father for he never smiled anymore.

"Do you have the recipe for these muffins? We can recreate them and maybe if you bake it for your father, he may just grant your wishes to attend the school you want."

Lorelei clasped my hands and smiled at me.

"I remember it but she has a secret ingredient that makes it special but I cannot remember it. Can you truly help me complete my mother's recipe?"

I led her towards the main kitchen and pushed the door open.

It was early morning, way before the sun rises but I started taking out the pots and pans needed.

"Let's get the breakfast service going first and then we shall tackle that muffin recipe. We will be putting it on the menu."

Lorelei's eyes widened as I started instructing her on how to prep certain food items and how to use the leftovers from last night's dinner.

By the time, the male soldier cooks and manservants arrived. Lorelei already knew what to do as she helped me run the kitchen just in time for breakfast as a few dozen warriors came inside the mess hall and started demanding food.

I tapped the bowls of morning chowder, leftover roast sandwiches, and some lingonberry muffins scattered with honey and toasted nuts that I already prepared on the counter