Chapter 2: Subpar Food

Ely's POV:

(continued flashback...)

I realized that we stopped in front of a pair of ornate doors and in front of it was a tall strapping older gentleman dressed in butler attire with an air of quiet elegance. His raven hair threaded with grey strands was styled off his face and his grey eyes looked us warily.

"Milford. I have arrived with Her Grace." The maid said and the butler stood aside.

" His Grace told me to send the duchess to the bridal house. An emergency war council was called tonight so he cannot perform his bed-sharing duties." The man called Milford explained.

I felt lost at what to make of that but then like a computer retrieving files from its memory, Alaina's memory became my guide manual.

Traditionally, a bedsharing night was done by the aristocracy every month to make heirs but the wedding night is very crucial and important as it marks how much the duke values his duchess.

This would strengthen my position as the lady of the house and will allow me to control his house and servants.

But in leaving me to attend a meeting. I guess it goes to show that he doesn't care about me.

Well, it is true since this marriage was made to save the baron. It was also a marriage of convenience since Baron Beaucamp's seat of power was in the far North...

Too far to influence the Duke's seat of power which is right here in the capital.

And so...I was deposited by a bunch of maids in a smaller house near the Manson's forested area.

The so-called bridal house.

where rejected brides stay until their husband visits them and regains their honor by consummating their marriage.

(End of Flash back)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has been a month since then and from what I know.

After our supposed wedding night, The Duke had to travel to the East to inspect the military camp. He has yet to return and this is why I am stuck in this house.

"Milady?" a timid voice made me look away from the window. I smiled at the only maid who chose to follow and serve me when I was exiled to the bridal house.

She was a sweet girl who just came to work for the duke and she volunteered to serve me when none of the older maids wanted to. According to what I heard, she was a bit of an oddity amongst the maids. I have not had a glimpse of that trait yet but time will tell.

"Yes, Linda?" I sat on the vanity table where she immediately prepared to brush my hair and braided it into a simple ponytail as I had requested. Instead of the extravagant frilly gowns, most ladies of society prefer. I chose a simple velvet gown of burgundy with frills done on the bodice and cuffs of the dress as my ensemble for the day.

"I brought your breakfast tray, Your Grace. You asked for something called an omelet so our chef did the best he can." she set the tray on a small round table beside the window where I can look out and watch the numerous activities in the ducal estate.

I looked at the spread before me and the plate looked like someone poured egg with burnt edges on top of a slab of thick ham and slathered with chunky globs of cheese curds. There were no vegetables to ease the fatty and rich flavors. It was merely accompanied by a basket of dry looking toast.

Well so much for getting my hopes up.

The omelet was horrible and tasteless. the burnt edges were bitter and ruined the egg's texture and the ham with cheese was too much and the toast made me reach for the tea which was oversteeped and as a result, it tasted so bad that the bitter aroma and taste lingered in my tongue.

"Linda. Is the duke's chef really a good cook?" I asked her bluntly since almost all the meals I have had for the past month was not up to my standards.

"He was once the duke's army cook so his food is a little on the robust side milady but his food is enjoyable enough. He is not as skilled as the Royal chefs though." came the maid's answer, her fingers rather fidgety. I can see that she does not want to insult the cook since he feeds the entire estate.

I put down my teacup and tapped my finger as I imagine living like for the rest of my life.

Abandoned and eating this ridiculously subpar food. The foodie and chef in me will scream bloody murder.

I have given the food a chance. But a month of boiled onion soup, hard as tack meat and bland boiled vegetables and burnt eggs was too much!

"Linda. I understand that the duke's monthly allowance for me will arrive soon?" I said as I waved for her to take away the food.

"Yes, Milady. The head butler Milford will be coming after the first meal to deliver it to you." she nodded before taking away the half-eaten first meal.

The room was quiet once again once Linda left and I made sure to lock the door before I opened my palm and a blue flame appeared in my right hand. I played with the dancing ball of fire for a while before my left hand suddenly let out ice drops that whirled around the fire and dissolved it.

There are a few interesting things I have found out a few weeks ago.

It happened around two weeks ago when I was given a tour of the Dranvelle, the capital of the Holy Kingdom of Illios.

Milford was kind enough to explain to me where the best shops for dresses are. the appropriate places for a lady to dine and various shops where I can purchase anything I want once my allowance from the duke arrives.

Then I saw how performers were using a small gust of wind to perform air tricks to impress the crowds and even a few knights using small balls of fire to light their way when night descended upon the noisy streets.

Magick was real here and according to the butler. Those gifted with magick are respected in whatever profession they enter in because it is thought to be a mark left by the Goddess and the Mana Sovereign.

I heard that my husband, Duke Aisenburg possesses strong dual magick which is the ability to wield two opposing elements. His was a rare blend of light and dark magick.

I looked at my hands and wondered if the duke knew I was also a dual magick wielder?

Is that why he agreed to marry me despite the old Alaina stammering and cowering before him.

I will never know since the bastard left me on our wedding night to travel his army encampment.

Well, I won't wait and starve. The moment I get my allowance; I'll dine at a nice cafe and get an omelet that has a fluffy texture and melts in my mouth!