Chapter 26: Beef Wellington - Part 2

Pierce's POV:

Her hair was blonde but it sometimes shifts from light gold to a more ethereal silver tone when the light shines upon her. She was fair-skinned with a figure that can only be called voluptuous; her eyes were like vibrant blue-green gemstones that shift colors every few seconds and her lips were lush and pink like a fresh rose.

Like the duke, she was dressed in a simple dusk rose gown with a floral pattern on the edges. Her hair was braided halfway, the rest of it was laid to rest on her left shoulder. Her accessory was only a pair of earrings and a single strand of pearls.

The ensemble would have looked far too simple for a duchess but her choices only made her look even more beautiful. When she took her seat beside the duke; she smiled at us immediately and the effect was so warm....so sweet that I almost did not hear my lord call my name.

I blushed as I heard him the second time and bowed to the duchess before sitting down feeling embarrassed.

"I am very pleased to meet you, gentlemen. My husband has told me that you two are the brains behind his prosperous business. Please continue to help his Grace on his future endeavors." her dulcet voice made that idiot Hubert stammer out a thank you and he looked starstruck by the praise and yet he cannot stop grinning.

But it sounded like she meant them; her voice had a sincere quality that most noble ladies lack. It was a voice that can pick you up from misery and encourage you to do your best for her.

Before I can offer a word in, the first course has been served. The duke's head butler seems to have employed a competent chef which was a relief because my employer does not have the best capabilities in hiring a chef. Ironic as he loves all types of food and sweets and yet he cannot hire a good cook.

That was probably his only weakness...

I remembered the last meal we shared months ago, The meat stew was fatty and the vegetables tasted bitter, even the soup was too sour and had too much pepper. The saving grace was the coffee and the sweet pastries that were served were from the city's finest bakery.

I am a bit of a food snob ever since I can afford good quality food. I am curious to sample the talents of this new chef.

"The first dish for the dinner course is a Rich Smoked Tomato Soup with Croutons and Cream." Milford's voice made me look at the bowl of soup which does not look like any tomato soup I have ever seen.

The aroma smells different and the presentation with the drizzle of cream on top and these small bread bits made me lift my soup spoon to mixed the cream into the soup which turned the red color of the soup into a red-orange gradient. Tomato soups are known to be nourishing but they are also very
sour which is why they are eaten with bread or a big piece of toast.

"Hmm?" I blinked in confusion at the smoky-sweet flavor that enveloped my tongue followed by the usual lush sour richness of the tomato. It smells like fragrant smoked wood but that is impossible. The taste of the flavors and the cream's ability to mellow out the sharp sourness of the tomato made me concentrate on the soup.

The bread croutons were an added delight, their toasty exterior had been brushed with butter which somehow heightened the dish's deliciousness. Simply wonderful...

I never thought that I would taste a different type of tomato soup here.

Even Hubert was gobbling his dish up and he hates soup. The duke was giving his wife a funny look but the duchess was savoring her dish and seemed pleased with the food.

"Main entree course is a special item taught by Her Grace to our chef. She calls it Beef Wellington accompanied by crispy asparagus with creamy egg sauce and smashed baby red potatoes."

I have never heard of such a dish before. Even in the noble's tables; the usual preferred main entree was the juiciest steak covered in luxurious glace sauce and mushrooms or a creamy fish fillet with mash potatoes and the best-seasoned vegetables.

When the dish was served before me, I stared at the hand-sized oblong-shaped puff pastry decorated with the asparagus on one side the fluffy smashed red potatoes was placed below the pastry like a circle; a wavy brown sauce seems to have been drizzled around the plate. The presentation of the food's many colors and finesse looks rather...beautiful.

My hands shook as I wondered how to cut it when a crispy sound emanated from the duchess' plate

My hands shook as I wondered how to cut it when a crispy sound emanated from the duchess' plate. she started cutting the pastry at the very font. I observed and followed her and the rich smell of beef fillet assailed my senses followed the aroma of rich earthy mushrooms then the faint sour and bitter mustard as well as....was that also prosciutto?

For the first time in my life, I was eager to eat an entree. I forked a good amount into my mouth and my hands went numb as a waterfall of complex yet delicious layers of flavor overrode my senses.

"This is simply delicious!" Hubert's burst of enthusiasm made me sigh.

"I have had a lot of meat dishes but this is simply too delicious even as food without any mana." His Grace rumbled as he ate the meat and seemed in paradise from the way his handsome face softened as he licked his lips.

He was right. This is not even food enriched with mana and yet this level of complex flavors requires an expert hand in selecting and harmonizing flavor. I tried the sides and the asparagus tips were still firm and meld with the rich buttery egg sauce that had a hint of lemon. Lastly, the red potatoes under the pastry absorbed the mushroom and beef juices inside the pastry and it tastes amazing and airy.

 Lastly, the red potatoes under the pastry absorbed the mushroom and beef juices inside the pastry and it tastes amazing and airy

I observed one slice and saw how this dish managed to pack several flavors into one place. Within the pastry, there was a visible dark ring of minced mushrooms then the salty prosciutto is wrapped around the meat; the mustard must have been spread somewhere inside as well but all in all.

This is really a wonderful treat!

I eyed the duchess in a new light as she blushed with joy at the taste of the main dish; If she was able to teach this to a new chef then that means she has the makings of a competent head chef

If word got out on how delicious this dish was. She would be asked for by many of the noble houses to teach their chefs or even cook for kings and royalty.

Heavens help us if Her Grace was also a mana user then the Duke would have to fight a lot of men who would desire her because a mana user who is gifted at cooking and creating such delicious dishes like this can control the whole kingdom if she chooses.