Chapter 39: Severing Ties

Ezran's POV:

Her dainty brows furrowed for a while before she sighed and bobbed her head.

I was relieved and for a moment; I kissed her gloved hand to see if her expression has softened. When I looked up, my heart thumped loudly against my chest when I saw her cheek turn pink but she was careful to keep her face blank.

Ah....how adorable.

Feeling hopeful, I went to the other side of the hedge and waited. A few minutes later, Lady Margaret Lorax arrived exactly where I was.

She was beautiful as ever and she looked excited and pleased to see me.

Her reaction left me colder than ever. From her strawberry blonde locks to her curvaceous body that promised sultry nights of seduction and endless perversions...

but somehow my ardour has died a quick death.

leaving me with feelings of irritation and anger at her obvious covetous ploys.

When did I tire of her? Ah. Because of Alaina.

She may not be as flamboyant but her down to earth manners and warm personality makes her an angelic beauty more attractive to my eyes.

Her disposition and the way she moves and speaks have long captivated me.

Until I could no longer recall another woman not do I want to.

"Darling! I knew that those ugly black flowers were a ruse! You came to me after reading my letter." her gentle voice was well-modulated and controlled as she walked closer to me and tried to hug me but I pulled away.

She seems surprised but then she recovered and tried to kiss my cheek but I swiftly pulled away from her.

"This is not funny, Lady Lorax."

"But my love...."

"Never. Ever. Call me that." My furious voice dripped with fury as I feel my eyes glow in the night which made her pretty face go pale with fright. " You seem to think you are an exception to the rule so let me assure you that you are not. Our little assignation is done, Lady Lorax so I suggest you cease with your attempts at sending me letters because I will order my butler to burn them to cinders immediately."

I spat out my words with a hiss that she recoiled when the shadow behind me trembled and howled eerily, scaring the stupid girl as she stumbled back as the night shadows grew bigger.

"Y-You are serious...Is it because of that...that woman?! She is a simple border bumpkin from the country. How can she be comparable to my class and breeding! " she scowled at me, her flushed face indignant that I would dare to defend my wife.

My instincts made me take a threatening step toward her and she stumbled back, her eyes wide with fear as the wind howled loudly into the night.

"Watch your tongue. That woman is my wife and I intend to be loyal to her. "

"You will tire of her and then you will come back to me." She whimpered when I growled inhumanely, causing her to gasp and step back in fright.

Stupid girl...

"You are dismissed, Lady Lorax. LEAVE."

She cried out loud at the finality of my words but amidst her fear, her eyes gleamed with hidden defiance as she scoffed and ran away from me.

My energy was spent.

My stiff shoulders slumped as the shadows lessened and returned to normal. A soft rustle from the other hedge made me turn around.

Alaina was behind me, her ethereal beauty looked so perfect against the landscape of the night and her confused expression made me itch to hold her in my arms.

She looked incredulous and her frown vanished as I bowed my head. My hand reached out to her and she trembled as she leaned against my palm on her jaw.

Then her fingers moved and stroked my cheek. It was a small sign but that meant something.

"I told you to believe me."

"Yes. I believe you did." she looked guilty.

"I meant what I said, wife. About making this marriage work."

"Yes. I am so sorry for doubting you. I don't know you that well so I just..."

I embraced her and she gasped before her body relaxed against mine.

"Ask me and I will tell you everything. I want to know more about you as well."

"R-really?"

I nodded as a genuinely happy smile graced her lips as a myriad of expressions played across her face.

"Then...can we go home and get to know each other?" Her face became hopeful and so vulnerable.

Only a heartless man would refute such honesty...

"Absolutely. Let's offer our farewell to our host and leave" I smiled gently as her expression turned to joy.

As we did our duty to the host and left the party, I remember spending the night talking to Alaina about our favourite books, her favourite recipes and we even found common grounds as we loved to swim and even read foreign cooking methods from Exotic Lands.

It seems like we have something in common. Most females do not like books but my Alaina seems to like reading a broad spectrum of them. I was comfortable switching topics with her in a way that I never thought possible.

If Lady Lorax had not sent that letter; I would have never stopped to think that my wife could even feel this way.

But because of my willingness to talk to her, I can feel her trust in me slowly growing again...

They say that once someone's trust is broken, it will never be the same even if you gained it back.

and I vowed to myself that I would keep it that way.

So I made a promise to myself that I would never stray from this woman.