Chapter 60: This is not Farewell

Ezran's POV:

I saw her hurrying down the steps and my anger at the head maid was forgotten immediately. She was dressed in a simple high-necked day dress and a long jacket; her hair was easily tied behind her and she was trailed by her equally breathless handmaid.

My feet walked towards her on their own accord as I saw a fraction of light back in her once murky eyes and she looked more gorgeous because of it.

We met in the middle of the path between the house entrance and my carriage. The air of anticipation around us was palpable as she took my hand and slipped a small paper before she tiptoed and planted a light kiss on my lips.

Everyone gasped. The maids tittered and sighed while the men were wide-eyed and nervous at what my move would be as she pulled out a teal silk ribbon and tied it to my wrist.

"I read your letter and...my answer is in this slip of paper." she looked hopeful and asked Linda to hand her a basket and she gave it to me. "I packed you some snacks and sandwiches for the trip. Please enjoy it and take care husband."

She looked so sweet and hopeful as I took the basket, my fingers caressed hers before I sighed softly and planted a kiss on her forehead.

I have never been an affectionate man. My household knows this but they have noticed that my wife has been influencing me towards a gentler disposition.

They were right.

My actions resulted in a warm atmosphere around the servants. It was quite different from the quiet and solemn farewell I am used to but their attitude of letting their guard down around me was not bad either.

"I'll send you letters....so please take care of yourself and eat well." She blushed as she walked with me towards the carriage since I took her arms and shortened my paces to accommodate her.

She moved slowly and every time her hips swayed slightly, she shivered and blushed which made me realize that despite my gentleness. My attention to her last night must have made an impression on her.

I placed an arm around her waist as we got closer to the carriage. Hughes greeted my wife who smiled and nodded to him.

"Hughes, please look after my husband. Here." She told my aide, who suddenly looked surprised before vowing that he would do his best before accepting a small wooden box with a clasp on it from her.

"Take care of the estate, wife." I turned and kissed her hands which were gloveless since she must have hurried to see me off.

That touched me greatly and solidified what I have been feeling all along.

I will come back soon.

Once this war with Guthrie ends, then I will definitely take my time and spend it with her.

It was that one moment when leaving my home was the hardest but I bid my wife farewell for now and stepped inside the carriage followed by Hughes.

The carriage pitched forward and I looked back to see my wife waving at me as she watched the carriage leave until it passed by the gates and we were soon on our way outside Illios.

"The duchess is a very lovely lady. You chose well milord." Hughes complimented me as he unclasped the fastening of the box and he gaped at the contents of it. "Sandwiches! Milady gave me sandwiches and...they are still warm. Oh, bless her heart! I am so famished!"

I watched my aide eat one piece and soon he was eating another with gusto. My eyes went to the crisp lettuce and tomatoes as well as the thick-cut bacon sandwich Hughes was holding.

I opened the basket my duchess gave me and what I saw made my eyes gleam and my mouth water.

It was filled with sumptuously wrapped sandwiches and there was a glass tin filled with tiny cakes and leftover chocolate cream pie. There was another set of sandwiches made of whipped cream and sliced fruits.

But what surprised me was the mana that was being contained inside these foods. I see a burst of finely infused red and blue mana that could never be done by a third rate chef or even the best first-class chef unless...

They possess strong mana and is a master at infusing them through practice.

My wife prepared these. I can smell her scent in the basket but Hughes' sandwiches had no mana infused in them which means she specifically infused my food with mana to heighten their flavors and preserve them at their optimal freshness unless I eat them.

In a way, it shows how much thought she puts into this basket.

I looked back, my heart hammered wildly in my chest as I took a fruit sandwich and took a bite.

Holy....fruity burst!

An explosion of the strawberries' luscious juices burst inside coupled with the creamy whip cream and the sweet, fluffy milk bread was delicious and the water mana that enhanced it brought out another flavor which was the silky rich custard hidden inside.

I never thought I would enjoy dessert in the form of a sandwich but my wife....was able to make something so tasty just for me...

Alaina...

I should have told her I was falling for her.

The cold cream was made even more refreshing because of water mana's cooling properties and I swallowed the whole sandwich in seconds before taking a baguette sandwich  immersed in red and blue mana.

The sandwich was a a smokey grilled beef roast with special gravy like sauce, caramelized onions, and melted swiss cheese.

The mix of fire mana kept the roast fresh and juicy as if it came straight from the oven and the water mana kept the dressing and veggies cool and fresh.

They were all so delicious and the love I felt that went to preparing them more than made me determined to win against Guthrie.

My wife is a gifted chef and a dual mana user like me.

That little revelation made me smile.

A lot of people will want to use her for their own gain but I have faith that Milford and Linda will be there for her. Captain Nile's will protect her in my stead and I asked my spies around my house to watch over her and keep her from harm.

I closed my basket just as Hughes painstakingly left half his sandwiches inside the box.

"Milord, you will be the envy of every man in Illios once word of your wife's cooking gets out." My aide looked satisfied with the food as the carriage ambled across the forest road that appeared after an hour of riding.

Thinking of my wife and her angelic smile made my lips twitch slightly until I was grinning.

You have no idea...

I opened the slip of paper she gave me and what I saw written gave me an even better motivation to come home.

It said:

{ I will wait for you. }

{ End of Season 1 }