Chapter 25: Beef Wellington - Part 1

Pierce's POV:

I am the Duke of Aisenburg's personal secretary who handles his businesses and numerous shipments that came from his fleet's trips in several countries including the Exotic Lands.

It is a very trying job but thanks to the generous salary I receive every month; I was able to pick my brother and sisters up from the orphanage. Two were already married and working for the duke while my little sister was attending boarding school in Volantia upon the Duke's patronage.

Right now, we are meeting his wife. The Lady Alaina Aisenburg seems to be the talk of the city right now.

Even before the duke summoned me and Hubert the bookkeeper; I was intrigued by the sudden appearance of the duchess whose background was a mystery.

From what I could learn from Milford; the lady was but a daughter of a border baron up in the Northern Realm in the Arcana Region who begged the duke to save his father when he was captured by enemies during a skirmish with Barbaros.

Not many ladies would risk their reputation to steal into a man's room and strike a deal with him for the sake of family. She must either really love her father to risk herself or she was foolish enough to think that my lord would help her without any payment just because he is the protector of the Kingdom.

Either way, I will get an accurate measure of her soon.

"A friend of mine in the Knight's order said that the duchess made a treat from them after training," Hubert said as he examined the silver spoon on the dining mat in front of him. "Something about it being three different kinds of cold salads. "

"The duchess made them?" my fingers twitched in disbelief. " A noble lady cooking? That is absurd."

"Yes. I told my friend that but apparently it is true although the only one who can confirm that farfetched story is her handmaid who assists her in the art of cooking."Hubert grinned at me. " Also, I heard from every male servant that her Grace is a rare beauty."

"Even prettier than the reigning Belle?"

"Yeah, they say she looks like a fey queen. With shiny blonde locks and eyes that resemble the Emerald Sea." the bookkeeper has a weakness for pretty women since his wife was also one.

The doors opened and I saw a line of maids take their place behind us. Milford made his appearance and announced the arrival of the duke and duchess. We both stood up to await our employer.

The duke was dressed in his court clothes of black brocade and pantaloons, a fur-lined cape was fastened on his left shoulder. He had a stern yet good looking face that has always been the envy of the male nobles; black hair was also an uncommon trait in the Kingdom and his red eyes were a symbol of his ancestor's scales, The Wyvern Lord Flamberge.

Since the duke was taller than the average male and had broad shoulders, the duchess who was supposed to stand to his right had been partially covered as they walked towards the table.

But when he turned, the duchess came into view and somehow as immune as I am to a woman's charms. Something inside me react when I beheld Lady Alaina's presence beside the duke.

I have seen a few women partner up with the duke during social gatherings and royal balls but even the current belle of the ton Lady Lorax does not seem to fit into the strange bubble the duke has placed himself in. Any woman seems lacking when they stand beside him even if they are known to be the prettiest flowers of the Kingdom.

But the serene and kind aura that the Lady Alaina projects seem to melt away the duke's usual scary presence that unnerves the weak-minded. As if it was something inherent within her soul that she could touch the duke's hand without crying or fainting like a scared child. As a result, she and the duke make the most striking couple.

As for the claims of her beauty...

They were wrong. She is more than beautiful. She was....exquisite and otherworldly.