Chapter 65: My Mistress

Linda's POV:

My lady looked at me after I came back early. When she let me catch my breath for a few minutes, that was when I spilt everything the moment she sequestered us in the privacy of her room.

"So....that was what happened." She murmured to herself, her expression was not as shocked as I imagined it to be.

"Did you know?"

She sighed and nodded her head.

"I kept quiet because I was not sure who tried to murder me in the tub. Did she happen to have a scar on her hand?"

"Yes, milady. On her wrist. It..looked like a star."

My answer made her massage her head. Lady Alaina was still calm but I could see that she was troubled by the way she moved.

"We must be careful from now on. She has not tried anything since then so this means she is laying low," she told me. " Is this...everything you needed to tell me?"

" N-no. It appears that Lady Lorax is blackmailing Mrs. Yates as well. I was at the cafe where they met in secret. It seems like Lady Margaret is asking her to dig up some dirt that she can use on you. There is also a spy planted in the mansion by her as well."

"I see. Well done Linda, Even now...you are still so loyal to me." She pulled the bell rope and instructed the maid who answered to get Milford.

"Thank you, milady."

I bowed to her as she patted my shoulder.

"Rest up and I'll call you if I need anything. Dinner is still a few hours away so I will discuss how to root out the stray roots with Milford."

"Alright. Please rest well, my lady."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I left to go to my room and made sure to lock it up before I changed into my true form.

Maintaining my human form was already hard enough but masking my strong scent from the duke was even harder as my tail and ears popped out as I checked my reflection in the hanging mirror by my bed.

Furry pointy ears as white as snow and my eyes turned an interesting blue gold gradient and I fluffed my hair which has turned from brown to white as I sat down on my bed and remembered the true reason why I was here.

I am Linda von Hayden. 5th child of the powerful Beastkin elder Arc Vulpo von Hayden who also runs an information/mercenary guild back home. We use a produce market as a front to gather said information from various merchants and people.

I was tasked to survey the activities of Duke Ezran's estate by the orders of my Father because our clan is under the command of the Beast King, Silvane.

Our orders were to report back every month on the household's situation.

Our purpose was to protect the duke and his family from any noble houses from interfering with his house.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

When I asked why we do this sort of duty for a noble of the holy kingdom.

Father told me that the Beastkin Kingdom owed him a debt of gratitude for the countless silent aid he provided years ago when our small kingdom suffered from famine.

In the beginning... It did not matter if these humans find me odd as long as I keep an eye out on the Duke's household and stay inconspicuous.

Beastkin has always exuded this aura that makes it hard for humans to approach them. As an esteemed member of the White Fox Clan, I am used to humans and their paranoia regarding our kind.