Chapter 70: Greenwich Village

{ War News Update!
The Royal War Office has released news that the year long anticipated siege on Guthrie has been cut short by the Duke Aisenburg's unorthodoxed strategy! More war news to come.}
- Daily Dranvelle Newspaper

Linda's POV:

We arrived at a village called Greenwich, a not so small village filled with lots of fertile farm lands near the Viridian River just south of the capital.

This was the first time the duchess set out on a journey beyond the capital.

Thank God this place was only a day's ride away from the city.

I went ahead of my lady to secure lodging at the only inn here.

I had to clean up a bit. Producing softer sheets and linens using my fox magick to store a limited amount of items on my spatial pouch. I even used a broom and magick cloth to wipe windows clean and made sure it was clean by the time the duchess came in.

She was in disguise. Trading her expensive silks and shoes for a functional skirt, sturdy black boots and an elegant light blue longer sleeve blouse. A quality hat the color of beige rested on her head to hide her face.

The moment she came inside. She took off the hat revealing her beauty which did not detract from the severe way her silk hair was tired in a coronet bun.

"Great job Linda. So...Have you found him?" She looked exhausted from the ride but her voice sounded excited.

"Yes mi-uhm...Miss." I almost slipped. Lady Alaina wanted her identity to be kept secret so she asked that I call her "Miss"

I proceeded to tell her where Neo was.

He was currently helping out in his sister's small farm as a sheep herder.

"He has four sisters. 3 older ones with him being the fourth child and a fifth younger sister. He learned how to cook basic things like stews and soups from his mother and after helping out at the farm. He works late night at the village tavern."

"Does he work in the tavern kitchen?"

"No Miss. He...cleans tables. The owner hates his guts because he seems jealous of the fact that he was accepted in the Palace and chickened out by coming back here." I told her what I heard from the villagers.

"Hmm fetch us some supper. We shall visit him first thing tomorrow."

"Yes, Miss."

I hastened to obey her and soon we were dining on hot vegetable stew and bread with cold cheese.

It made me wonder...

How amazing is this commoner that someone like my mistress is interested in personally inviting him back to the capital.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Neo's POV:

"B-br-brother!" Carrie burst into my room just as I was changing clothes.

"Carrie! Knock first!" I quickly pulled down my tunic.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! T-there is lady er...lady with a maid asking for you. I-I mean...she is dressed simply b-but her manners are so proper. Did you offend anyone by any chance?"

My sister have never made a fuss over someone like this before....but...

"Calm down Carrie. I'll go down."