Chapter 3: Milford

Milford's POV:

I stared at the small dilapidated house with its overgrown hedges and peeling wall paint as I sighed as I knocked on the door.

The new girl Linda opened the door and bowed to me as I let myself in.

News of the duke's treatment of his wife has spread across the estate and manor. He abandoned her on the day of their nuptials and was as a result exiled to the bridal house.

As the duchess of the most awed yet feared nobility in Illios, I had expected her to protest and start throwing things around but she docilely left the main manor and settled here.

"How is Her Grace doing Linda?" I asked the young maiden who volunteered to serve the duchess. She had a somewhat pleasant face with chestnut hair and brown eyes but she was somewhat of an oddity around the maids.

"She is fine sir." was her reply.

Always prompt and I detect a hint of coldness as well. Before she came to serve the duchess; she was quiet and timid but now.....she is quite bold to show such displeasure.

I stopped and confronted her, as the head butler; I have the authority to report her rebellious behavior to the head maid and she can be punished accordingly.

But then I noticed something else.

The outside was deplorable but the inside of the house was clean. the floors were shiny and the walls were properly dusted and flowers decorated every vase. The drapes have been changed and the windows were washed and the carpet was clean although it was a bit worse for the wear.

From my knowledge, the head maid did not send any help to clean the house. Only the room where the duchess will be staying at.

"Did you clean all of this?" I asked her. Now that I got a look at her now, her hair was a bit brittle and her skin is dry and the eye bags under her eyes was prominent.

She hesitated before she nodded. Her usual expression turned a bit fidgety before she hid it behind her aloof mask.

"Yes sir. " she hastily answered but before I could question her, we arrived at the duchess' room. She opened knocked on the door lightly before opening it.

The Duchess was dressed in a simple burgundy gown that high lighted her golden hair, the dark red-purple color brought out the color in her rosebud lips and soft teal eyes as she closed the book she was reading and looked at me.

I have met many ladies with their pastel and bright colored gowns, their neck and hands dripping with jewels; their hair powdered with glitter and done elaborately to make them look stunning.

The duchess possesses no extravagant jewels on her except for a simple checker necklace of black velvet.

Despite such simplicity, she was breathtakingly beautiful. Like a fey lady who has placed here by accident. I admit that I was entranced the first time I saw her walking towards my lord's chambers. Her blonde hair unbound and caressing her pale cheek. She looked so vulnerable and lost even as her beauty glowed in the darkness.

I remembered the first she stumbled upon my lord to ask for his help while he was staying at an inn near the Baron's estate. She was heavily cloaked and her hands gloved. Even her veiled face hide everything but her pretty eyes but it was evident that she was scared of the Duke but even then, she blubbered a courageous plea to save her beloved father.

Many ladies of the court had coveted the lofty title of Duchess Aisenburg. To be wed to my master meant power and influence that most court ladies dream of. She can be the belle of the ball or the driving force amongst the beau monde if she wishes to. My master is also generous to the ladies he chooses so money, gowns, and jewels are nothing but small expenses for him.

I bowed before the ethereal lady before me and she stood up and looked at me.

"Please rise." her voice was soft but I feel the strength in them. I could detect none of the nervous energy she displayed the first time I saw her with the duke.

"Milady, Here is this month's allowance." I offered the small two bags of coins to Linda who was behind me. " Please forgive the small amount but the duke has not authorized an official amount for your allowance yet so for now please bear with it."

The duchess took one small sack and loosened the drawstring to pick one silver drachma.

"How many silvers was I promised for this month?" she asked calmly.

I swallowed silently. I half expected her to slap me or even throw something at my face but she made no such move.

"There are 100 silver drachmas and 200 gold drachmas," I answered.

Normally the past duchesses receive 500 gold drachmas and 300 silver drachmas monthly but because of the master's sudden emergency departure to the encampment; I was only able to give her this much.

I prepared myself for a slap on the face for this insult but then the duchess merely closed the bag and nodded.

"You may leave." she dismissed me. " Thank you for coming all the way here Milford."

I was stunned and looked to see what expression she was making.

She was smiling. The radiance of it nearly floored me as I took my leave and left her room in a daze.

An...An angel...

The Duchess of Aisenburg was a very gentle and kind woman; I have to report this to the duke and ask him to pen an official order to increase her allowance at once.

Somehow I could see that she was happy with such a modest amount, maybe I can keep her content until the lord of the house comes back and make her a true duchess.

Please come back immediately Milord.

I prayed to the heavens but not before remembering that I have not eaten the first meal yet. The thought of lumpy boiled potato mash and mushy minced beef with peas made me frown.

It is not that Esteban's cooking was bad but it gets tiring to eat the same thing over and over again. His food is fuel for me to continue working...nothing else.

Well, it is better than the unedible slop I ate at military camps. That is a blessing at least.