Chapter 54: Heartsick

Ely's POV:

I felt someone fed me something wet and warm but it somehow made the ache in my head feel better.

A cool cloth was also pressed to my head at times and I felt someone wiping me down to alleviate this uncomfortably warm sticky feeling.

I was able to sleep a bit better because of that. As I was drifting to sleep; I felt a cool hand over my fevered forehead.

Then a healing light that somehow alleviated the heavy feeling in my body as I snoozed.

When I woke up. My body felt a little heavy and my throat was parched.

The first thing I noticed was that I was not in my room. These tapestries and carpet were all things in my husband's room.

The sky was still dark and the whole house was very quiet. A little too quiet.

A shadow moved the moment I tried to pull the covers off to go relieve myself, I was suddenly hugged by my husband.

"M-milord?" I felt him shiver as he held me tight. His breathing was uneven as if he had just run a mile.

"You were sick for more than 2 days Alaina. I was out of my mind with worry."

2 days....?

"You were supposed to be at the camp. Why are you still here?" I asked him hoarsely as I pushed at him "What about the war?"

"I will leave when you are well enough. My second in command has the entire campaign at hand." His hand went to my face as his other hand used mana to activate the lamp near his table.

My eyes squinted at the sudden flood of light that lit up the room. I saw my husband's face for the first time and...

Gasped.

God, he looks horrible! His skin looked pale and dark eye bags formed under his handsome face. His hair was messy and he was dressed in a loose tunic and pants only.

He looked like he went through hell.

Even though he does not love me. There is no denying that he is a very kind-hearted and caring spouse.

I kinda feel sorry now for being sick but the pain inside of me was still present.

"Milord. I will be fine. The fever broke so you may go tomorrow." I tried to keep my voice normal but my mouth was dry so I choked on a few words until a glass of water was pushed into my hands.

"Drink." He seemed disgruntled at my first words to him as I drank the cool water in a few gulps and he took it from me. "The doctor will be checking in on you now. Do you need any soup? You have been surviving only on broth and water."

I nodded mutely and he rang the bell and as soon as he did that, a maid came in and I heard my husband demanding soup for me and asked another servant to wake the doctor to check me.

Somehow, Dr. Romero came in a few minutes later and checked my eyes and my mouth for a bit before checking my temperature before she nodded to me and face Ezran.

"Her fever has subsided. The worst is over; Keep giving her these pills and tonic for the next 4 days and I will visit again for a check-up. Keep her on nourishing soups and toast for 2 days but include some soft foods she can swallow to get her stomach used to it. Nothing too spicy or salty for now. No coffee either but weak tea is fine"

My husband seems to be absorbing everything the good doctor was saying before she turned around and took my hands.

"Your Grace. I am so happy you are getting better. Your body was weak for a while but we did the best we could to help you recover." she smiled maternally as I nodded and thanked her for her service.