Chapter 18: Salad Trio

Nile's POV:

I have served as Captain of Duke Ezran's Knights for more than 7 years.

He has never been one to show any softer emotions, deeming them unnecessary for a man of his title.

This is why I was shocked to see him hovering over his new wife protectively as he helped her walk slowly to the huge tree as the maid set up the covered cart.

I was informed that the duke had planned a small thank you for the knight's hard work. I guess it must involve the new duchess.

This was my first time seeing her and I could hardly believe how beautiful she was. Like a fairy queen that has descended upon us mortals.

But what intrigued everyone was how at ease she was with the duke. He was known to intimidate females with weaker defenses except for some people but the sweet girl was actually shaking her lovely head at how the duke insisted that she sit on the bench with his cloak folded on top as a cushion.

I saw a few of my knights exchanged knowing glances at the implications and I cleared my throat to shut them up but I am sure there will be some ribald comments later when they are alone.

The knights all bowed to their lady after she was seated and so did I as she spoke, her dulcet voice was as clear as the freshwater from a brook.

"My husband has always told me about the bravery and hardworking ethics of his knight order. On behalf of him, My maid and I prepared some special snacks and drinks for you all. Please enjoy."

The maid covered the cart and I saw pitchers of colorful drinks and down below are three big bowls of salad that can feed 20 knights.

The maid first served the lord and his lady. The duke seems to like the paler drink with some kind of fruits floating with the ice. So I asked for that as well since I was the first in line followed by my knights according to ranks.

Once everyone sat down to eat. I took a sip of the cold drink and a light fresh aroma tickled my nose that tasted oddly like peach and the pop of fruit added an extra fun texture. This is a well thought out beverage that was not too heavy on the stomach and yet it is simply refreshing and delicious.

After enjoying the drink, I sat back and stared at the colorful trio of salads before me. The duchess used a hand-sized bowl with three separators to be able to fill three salads in one bowl.

Ingenious.

But I wonder...Is this even a salad? The first one had greens but it also had small bits of bacon, toasted bread, and bits of boiled eggs, the second one seems to small cubed chicken and has odd ribbon-like pasta with a tomato-based sauce and some parsley with baby spinach and some grated cheese.

Is this even a salad? The first one had greens but it also had small bits of bacon, toasted bread, and bits of boiled eggs, the second one seems to small cubed chicken and has odd ribbon-like pasta with a tomato-based sauce and some parsley with b...

But the third one baffled me. It was bits of fruits with cheese cubes and cream.

I have had salads before. But I never enjoyed eating them since they do not have the richness of meat nor the taste of malt beer.