Chapter 86: A Chance Meeting - Part 1

Kain's POV:

"Keep them away from the wagons! Keep the rations and guests safe!" The leader of the mercenaries bellowed as they engaged thieves for the second time.

I swiftly dealt with those who tried to make their way to my lady's wagon. A few other guards helped protect the duchess and the other lady.

What was her name again?

Baristani. Yes..Lady Baristani.

She was another lady who was nicer than the usual snooty females from the ton. A little blunt perhaps but I prefer that over the roundabout way most ladies do when they are speaking.

The skirmish between the thieves ended when Sir Merrick managed to kill their leader. I sheathed my bloody sword just as the last of the survivors ran away.

"Uhm..I-Is it safe?" Lady Baristani poked her head from the wagon, she sounded scared but she never let it show that much but from the looks of her trembling hand was evident enough.

"They are gone. Milady. " I dusted off my cape as the wagons began to move once again. "Is she alright?"

"She is calm but the trip seems to be tiring her. " Lady Baristani said and opened the wagon flap, showing Lady Alaina seated quietly with her hands on her lap.

She did look tired from how she was swaying slightly. But what made me wonder was why she looked worse for the wear.

"Milady. Are you alright?"

She looked at me and nodded while she yawns.

"I am just fine. Sir Kain. These attacks are just taking a toll on me that is all. How long till we reach the camp?"

"In 6 hours, Your-I mean...Miss Elena."

My curiosity doubled when Lady Baristani closed the flap and I walked beside the wagon.

"How is the girl you are guarding young one? Is she fine?" Sir Merrick asked.

"Tired. This is the second attempt to rob us." I answered him, I cannot show my displeasure since everyone is under the impression that I was guarding the duchess' trusted protege.

So far, most of the men have kept their distance since she is with Lady Baristani but some men could not help but look at her.

My gaze turned to the female voices inside the wagon. Even in her disguised form; Lady Alaina as Miss Elena still has the looks to attract any male.

This will spell trouble but she appointed me because she is confident in my abilities and sword skills. Which is why...I will have to be careful. Watch what I say and refrain from uttering her title.

To keep her safe.

----------------------------------------------------------

Ely's POV:

I may have used too much mana to keep any more thieves from finding our wagons.

Somehow, the mana around here was different so I had Undine and Igneus keep tabs on anyone who would approach us.

They were now able to manifest into a bigger form about the size of my hand when they were originally just tiny sprites when they first materialized.

I asked them to waylay or scare a few of the thieves in the vicinity. If they did not do so, this wagon would have been plundered because...

This entire forest is crawling with more than two groups of thieves! Thank God my mana reserves are longer now because I have been continuously cooking for more than a few months.