Chapter 36: A Chance at Love

Ely's POV:

As I was about to take the dishes inside the kitchen, Ezran took them all and offered to help me clean up.

Since the maids were off doing some work, I washed the dishes while my husband helped dry them and placed them on the drying rack.

The atmosphere was quiet. I found that instead of being awkward with each other after all we did; this type of silence was welcoming.

But it also made me conscious of him.

"Are we done?" his deep voice somehow made my insides quiver as I dried my hands with a drying cloth.

"Yes. If you have somewhere to go. You may go." I smiled at him. " Thanks for helping me clean Ezran."

But he did not leave. instead, he took my hand and told me to follow him. I stared at his broad back; he did not say anything about the Shakshuka Eggs but he ate it all.

Maybe he was the type to show his appreciation by finishing the food.

That must be it.

I noticed that we are back at the main house but Ezran took me toward a different hallway and then down an underground passageway where the direction was...

In front of a huge door lit by floating mana stones. A seal was glowed in front of it and from what I could read as the graceful, flowy script glimmered

{ Only an heir of Flamberge can open the Vault.}

He raised his hand and a black flame coated it as he pressed it on the seal which glowed black before it opened the doors with an audible creak.

The whole place did not look like a room. It was similar to what I saw in the Cave of Wonders scene from the movie Alladin. It was filled with mountains of gold and chests overflowing with jewels, trinkets, and other valuable things.

He led me past a few areas. Some chambers were filled with gold, some of gold or diamonds and rubies.

Until we came upon a clean room that had display shelves of priceless jewelry. Many eyes went wide when I saw that my husband went towards the center display where a certain set was kept.

He took it and showed it to me.

It was an exquisite diamond jewelry set. The earrings, necklace, and bracelets were all done in an intricate yet elegant design that can go with any outfit that I would wear.

"I have heard from your maid that you do not possess a single jewel set. Take this and wear it when you attend that themed party. " he gave the see-through velvet box to me.

"Thank you. I'll return it when the party is done." I clutched the expensive jewelry to my chest as I breathed a sigh of relief that I do not have to go accessory hunting.

"It is yours. I will bring up a few more jewel sets for you to use. As the wife of a duke; you are entitled to all the jewels you see here in my family vault." he towered over me and stroked my cheek slowly before he gave me a tender look. "I am pleased with the Shaka Eggs and that Lamb Roast. The spicy, lush flavors were to my liking. I want to taste it again."

" I...Is that why you gave these to me?" My question got a nod from him and I laughed nervously before giving him a bright smile because I was feeling so happy that he loved it. " R-really? I was worried it did not suit your taste but I am glad you liked it."

His lips went to my own and I trembled as he pulled me towards him and I was swept in this sweet moment when his tongue enter my mouth. I easily found myself responding as I could not resist because I was hugging the jewel box to my chest.

"What am I to do with you Alaina?" his husky tone made me blush when he ended the kiss before he walked away and took a small box beside a huge ruby and took my left hand.

I watched in wonder as he slipped a princess-cut blood ruby ring into my pale finger.

"It has occurred to me that I never gave you a wedding ring. Now that we both agreed to try hard on this marriage; it is only right....that I give you my grandmother's heirloom ring."

I stared at the beautiful crystal ring that intertwined to form around the cut blood gem and a few smaller diamonds lovingly. Somehow seeing a wedding ring on my hand made the whole promise real.

"Here." He took the box from me and gave me a male version of the wedding ring. " Put it on me."

And just like that. The moment I slipped the ring on Ezran's finger and he took my hand where our rings touched and caught the light. I felt like I have a chance at love.

The promise that was made has finally solidified between the two of us.

To try our best to be a good husband and wife to each other...