Chapter 72: The Tavern Taco Tandem

"My dear husband,

Thank you for sending me a list of the best chefs in the city however I plan on choosing my own chef for this project.

You see I have chosen him because I see potential in him. It is only by a twist of fate that he is common born.

I will update you on whether my personal mission is a success.

Until then. Take care."

- The Duchess Aisenburg's Letters to the Duke.

Note: The duke was now curious....and a little bit jealous of the young commoner who has his wife's eye.

Neo's POV:

after spending a long time discussing ideas with Lady Alaina, we finally decided what meat and vegetable combo to serve.

It was such a simple idea.

That it may just work.

It showcases how vegetables and meat can be harmonized into a complete meal.

Tavern food is known to just offer meat dishes or bread and cheese with ale and beer because most of the patrons are males or passing hunters who love the taste of protein after a hard day's work

As a result vegetables tend to turns them off because they are known as rabbit food.

Which is not serving vegetables at a tavern is considered an unwritten rule.

But since Greenwich village is known for growing vegetables and wheat for the surrounding towns. Majorityof the village folks take pride in eating their hard earned produces.

Which is why I learned how to make vegetable based dishes and dips and stews from my mother.

Which is why when the duchess proposed to incorporate majority of our local veggies into the menu.

Even the unique ones like chickpeas, avocado, lemon and herbs like cilantro and mint.

But judging from the menu that we finalized.

It made me wonder if can be executed well enough....

The duchess left us, promising that we will practice our dishes tomorrow in the morning.

Like an unpredictable wind, she was gone and I pondered the sudden shiver in my spine as I smiled.

-----------------------------------------------------

The practice went well and after nightfall came. We went to the village square.

Two identical cooking stations were erected along with dozens of tables as far as the eyes can see.

I hauled the pot containing on of the secret meat we prepared and placed it on a low simmer on the iron post that suspends the pot over the fire.

The duchess said that the Tavern Master is allowing our meat prep because it was the same as prepping their stew which has to be boiled in low heat over hours of period.

But we most supply and make the appetizers and side dishes in front of the spectators.

I saw one of Hans' helpers place a huge cauldron over their post and I could smell the stew.

As the duchess and Linda placed our ingredients on our station, I built a fire over the hole where our extra pan or pot will be placed.