Chapter 88: A Chance Meeting - Part 3

Ezran's POV:

We have arrived in Guthrie.

The entire army rejoiced at our recent victory. The head of the Guthrie King was sent to Dranvelle as evidence that I succeeded, his family was killed and now all that is left is to assimilate the conquered lands and hunt down the remaining allies of the dead king.

In the past days since I took over. My men and I had an easy time quelling the survivors since they did not resist. We assured the civilians that they can go back to their normal lives once the new governor of this kingdom has been chosen.

The people complied, much to my relief and the city is now under my control. But even now they are gathering around the entrance and were welcoming us.

Since I burned their supplies and nearby farms, it was now up to me to organize and clear the burnt areas to make way for new farming areas but the joy in both the citizens of the citadel and my army was one of consolation as wagons filled with food and supplies came inside the city gates.

More wagons carrying more grains and seeds from the Royal Vault will come tomorrow but for now, this will have to do.

Guthrie's Royal Castle was a new model made of Seldora stone and Virnough bricks. The taxes used for this structure must have beggared more than thousands of the middle classes and lowborn workers. After we "cleansed" this place; the outer courtyard was cleared away of debris and most of the army pitched their tents here while the high-ranking knights took the inner courtyard leading to the castle.

While the commanding officers took the undamaged rooms in the castle.

I directed a few men to help with taking the food sacks and items to our supply tent which was located at the west building where the larders and kitchens are. The small raven-haired woman once again caught my eye while she spoke with Lady Lorelei, who was checking her list.

Again.

This odd feeling whoever I see her disturbs me.

Like I am missing something.

I sharply left Joel and Jael to continue supervising the operation of unloading the food and made my way to one of the smaller royal bedchambers, where Hughes was there to help me out of my bloodied clothes and armor.

"Milord. A letter arrived for you. From the Duchess. " he said as he left to prepare a basin of hot water to clean me.

While he was busy doing just that. I went to my table and picked it up, my hands ripped the envelope and the same scent filled my lungs as I sat down to read as I smiled.

Hello Ez,

I am writing to you in advance about sending some food for your army through Lady Lorelei. She has asked for my help to add more variety to the bland food that is being cooked at camp so I am sending a special person who will teach the cooks in charge how to make soup with rice and other foods.

Please take care of yourself once again. I heard that you are in the middle of a breakthrough.

Your wife,
Alaina.

The letter was short but she never forgot me every time she tells me to take care or be careful. Most wives are not that concerned about their husbands and usually fill their letters with their excursions or the latest gossip.

But she always makes sure to ask how I am doing or what new things I have discovered.

Goddess...I miss her...

I decide to wash up a bit.

Hughes made sure I was dressed in simple clothes. When I am at camp, I prefer wearing a loose tunic tucked in my pants and soft leather boots. The breathable material and the way it allows me to move freely was also a reason why I prefer a simple look during war campaigns.

"Your Grace. Kain greets the Blade of the Kingdom."

I turned to see the young knight kneel before me, his dark head bowed.

The new knight assigned to the duchy.

He represents the very image of a young knight. Handsome, strong, and courteous. I have heard from Niles that with some polishing and training; he could be senior knight material.

"Rise." I sat down as he picked himself up and waited for me to address him once again. "Tell me about my duchess' new protege. Who is she?"

"Her name is Elena. she was personally recommended by the duchess to train the ones in charge of the food here on new recipes for rations."

Elena?

My suspicions would not abate.

"Is she that good at cooking?"

"Yes, sir."

I asked a bit more about this new girl but somehow I can not help but feel dissatisfied with the answers given to me.

It was not because Kain was untrustworthy. It was because of that girl. Her presence was like an itch I cannot quite scratch.

I dismissed him after our talk was concluded but my curiosity about this girl is still in my mind even as I went to my table and began working on some papers.

Supper is a few hours away but soon it is the time for me to see the ability of this "protege" my wife recommended.

But with the arrival of Lady Lorax, as a higher rank lady; she may pull rank to commandeer the kitchen team. It made me wonder how much bullying she would heap upon the two other girls.

The woman is not one to give up her authority and I bet she won't make things easier for Lady Baristani and Miss Elena.

.............

I stood up after I was done with my job and decided to visit Lady Lorelei and Miss Elena.

At least while I am busy. My wife would want me to protect her proteges.

I should make it clear to everyone just in case Lady Lorax abuses her power.

Yes. That is the only reason why I am going.