Chapter 21: Lady Margaret Lorax

Margaret's POV:

A lady's position is always precarious.

Which is why she must always be above reproach. Elegance and Beautiful with good breeding.

A noble background as well.

Heavens forbid the thought of ever being born of the middle class or worse, the peasant stock.

Just the thought of it made me shudder with revulsion as I viewed myself in the golden gilded mirror on my vanity table.

As the reigning Belle of the ton, I must always maintain my image and everything always goes my way.

I caressed a paper clipping with the picture of Duke Aisenburg, his strong profile was still so handsome..so striking even when his image was captured in black and white.

My body shivered with delight when I last met with him. After months of pursuing the most eligible bachelor in the capital; He finally agreed to an assignation.

It is a term popular amongst the beau monde where a male and female can meet at an assigned place to have a little "fun" and these dalliances usually turn into something more if the gentleman involved becomes crazy over you.

Of course, some just do not work out and the other use of the assignation was an amicable parting of both parties thereby protecting each other's identities.

That was my aim when I made it my mission to seduce Duke Aisenburg. Our occasional nights together a few months ago were rather wild and I trembled at how masterful he was when he roughly loved me.

Pretty soon he will be asking my father to visit me and maybe after a few outings where we are seen together; he will ask for my hand in marriage.

I just have to find a way to meet him before he goes back on the battlefield.

As I was admiring my silky strawberry blonde locks once more, my maid Lucy burst in with a rather disturbed expression.

I wondered why this stupid girl was acting like it will be the end of the world. A moment after she reluctantly showed me the Dranvelle Gazette where all the important announcements are listed; One column caught my attention.

{ Duke of Aisenburg, Ezran II has wed Lady Alaina, daughter of Baron Beaucamp. Due to his Majesty's deployment of the Duke to the East Camp, The announcement of his nuptials was delayed. We wish the Duke and his new Duchess a happy wedded life. May the Light bless them both. }

My perfect plan of being the most powerful dutchess in this kingdom crumbled as I crumpled the paper.

"Milady...this also arrived for you." Lucy's hand shook violently as I saw a black blossom on top of a small white box in her hands.

It was a famous sign amongst the ladies that shared Duke Aisenburg's bed and never succeeded. It symbolized the end of our assignation.

I screamed as I grabbed the box and threw it at the ground as fury filled me as I hurled things near me everywhere.

This is ridiculous! How dare he reject me! I am the most beautiful woman in the capital! What does that nobody have that I don't?!

Goddess take that bitch and send her to Tartarus and back!

Aagggghh!

--------------------------------------------------------

To my annoyance, the new duchess of Aisenburg was the talk of the ton.

She has not been seen in polite society yet but still, there were whispers of her. Some say she was a mere border noble's daughter but it seems like she is well-liked by the servants serving in the mansion.

But aside from those tidbits, there is no information about her at all.

Even at the small lake party, I am attending now. The mysterious duchess was on everyone's lips.

"I heard from Lady Viola that the Duke's head butler recently paid a visit to Ms. Romero to engage her services." Miss Hilde whispered. She is the daughter of Viscount Wembly. Small Dowry but her father is a well-known figure in politics.

" Isn't she a quack doctor? No respectable lady would ever be a physician." Lady Norton sniffed in disdain. Her husband was a mere baron but he does well enough in trade to keep her in silks and furs.

"Surely it is not because of the duchess?" Miss Hillard's eyes went wide. She has just been engaged to the son of a Count and is a local gossipmonger.

"Actually that is correct. According to my sources from the Duke's estate, he refused to let the male family doctor near her and demanded that only a female doctor will be the only one allowed to inspect his lady. That says a lot don't you think?" Miss Harrow revealed with a flourish. She is also one who loves gossip but her sources tend to be very accurate.

The ladies gasped at this delicious piece of news.

I, on the other hand, want to gag myself.

"We-well. Now I am curious as to when will the duchess make her appearance in high society. I do wonder if she looks like a country bum." Lady Norton fanned her pinkened cheeks.

"Or maybe she would be throwing a party soon. Who knows?" volunteered Miss Hilde before turning her innocent gaze at me. "Lady Lorax, will you attend if an invitation were sent to you?"

I felt everyone's eyes went to me.

These two-faced idiots are well aware of my relentless pursuit of the duke and are waiting for me to throw some catty remark that will surely disparage my good name.

I pasted a serene smile as I sipped my coffee, making a show of savoring the rich aroma.

"Why I would be delighted to accept if I were so graciously included. After all, we ladies most always put our best foot forward and welcome the duchess into our circle." I paused for effect." I heard she is the daughter of a border lord from the North. The poor dear will need our help fitting into society and we must answer our call to our duties as noble ladies, yes?"

They all bowed their heads.

"Yes quite so."

"Bravo Lady Lorax!"

"So true."

Feeling triumphant about my move to appear mature, I manage to shut them up without besmirching my reputation.

Anymore gossip about that slutty upstart and I swear I am going to cast up my crumpets.

But a delicious idea suddenly struck me as I smiled.

"Ladies, I am thinking of hosting a party..."