Chapter 7: A Duchess' Authority

Ely's POV:

The moment I came to the front of the mansion, the servants were dumbstruck as I ordered them to open the doors for me.

"You there! Get me Mrs. Yates who manages the maids. Hurry!" I pointed at one manservant who hastened to obey.

The foyer when lit up like this was beautiful. The wooden floor was well polished and the staircase banisters were shiny and cleaned.

An impressive mansion indeed.

"Your Grace." a haughty female voice made me turn slowly as the head maid who was dressed in a dark blue dress and apron approached me with two maids beside her. "How may I help you this morning? Have you come to question my treatment of an incompetent nobody?"

Her snide remarks made the other maids struggle to contain their smiles.

I studied Mrs. Yates and realized that she was the same maid who helped prepare me for my wedding night. The way she was treating me before and now was so different.

She seems to be a calculating bitch. Someone who becomes respectful when in the face of someone with power but has no qualms about acting high and mighty when faced with someone powerless or lower than her.

The old Alaina would have cried and cowered and run far away as much as possible.

Too bad I am different.

"Yes. In fact...let me return the favor you did in taking care of my maid." I raised my hand and slapped her back, the sharp smack was so loud that every servant froze and stared at us.

From the shocked look on her face as she stumbled back. My action was not something she expected.

"Mrs. Yates...Are you the Duchess or is it me?" I admonished her in a strong firm voice without any derision or rancor.

I saw her eyes change then. From a proud head maid to a frightened servant in a face of my icy stare.

"Yo..you are. Your Grace," she whispered.

"That is right. Although the Duke and I have not had the opportunity to begin our wedded lives together. The fact remains that I am his wife and the mistress of this estate; Hurting those under my supervision is like undermining and questioning the fact that your master married me! " my voice echoed throughout the mansion. " I will go back to the bridal house as a lawful wife should and once the duke and I finish our duties; We discussed how things will be managed around here. Until then, do your job without prejudice."

My words made the silence even more pronounced as the head maid bowed before nodding, her haughty demeanor has vanished but I saw the lingering bitterness in her eyes.

I turned around really and everyone bowed to me as the manservant opened the doors to let me out.

The walk to the bridal house was very silent and I noticed that Linda had not spoken a word.

When we got inside. She suddenly got down on her knees and cried.

"L-Linda?" I bend down to help her up but she shook my hands off.

" You...your Grace was so amazing. You made the others listen to you and your lovely voice was so strong and imposing...It was the most magnificent speech I have ever heard." She wiped the tears from her eyes as she grinned at me. " I swear I will follow you till the end of my days Milady."

Somehow seeing her trust in me increase just because I defended her made us somewhat closer.

"Thank you, Linda, Can you help me out of this gown? I wanted to change into something comfortable and read more books."

"Right away Milady!" Linda got up and smiled at me as we went to my room and after she helped me into a more flowy day dress.

Glad to be rid of that stuffy dress, I lounged by the divan couch to look at the usual activities at the estate while reading more books.

There are still a lot of things in this world that I am not aware of so I must study and learn so that I can be granted more freedom.

But for now, I am just having fun learning how to cook in this world. With my dual mana that only I can wield; I wonder what other things I can do with this power?

The culinary possibilities are endless.

------------------------------------------------------

Our second meal tray looked different.

After weeks of dried salty meat or bland boiled chicken and mushy greens.

But now there was a perfectly cooked steak nestled on a bed of smooth potato mash with buttered carrots and corn for me while Linda's was a big stuffed meatball with pea mash and some steamed veggies.

We were both stunned when the one who brought us the tray was none other than Milford.

"I fired Mr. Esteban and with the duke's permission, I hired a promising young chef who will be making your meals more enjoyable Your Grace." He bowed as he set the trays on the table. " I happen to have heard your talk with Mrs. Yates when you were at the main house and I did a little investigating. She acted without any other orders from me and made the chef serve you poor and inedible meals while denying the maids from even helping Linda with the chores here."

I was even more surprised when he got down on his knees and bowed again.

"Please forgive my incompetence. The duke has asked that I treat you well and I failed in doing so. You may punish me for my incompetence."

I sighed and somehow I could tell that he was sincere in his world unlike that bitch of a head maid.

"Please rise Milford. I will determine your punishment now." I maintained my aloof voice, a noble lady must be fair but she also must be firm lest the servant thinks she is weak.

The head butler stood up and waited for my words.

"Restore the bridal house to its former glory and send three more servants to help Linda with the upkeep of this place," I said decisively.

"It will be done. Your Grace." He bowed. "About the punishment?"

I gave him my gentlest smile.

"This is your punishment. While the duke is away; Do continue to make my stay in the bridal house more than acceptable."

I could tell that he was stunned at such an easy punishment but I knew that if I acted generous and reasonable; he will be sure to tell the duke of my good behavior as he smiled and left my room.

Plus...Having the house cleaned and functioning well during my stay here is really all that I truly need right now.

It was a good step towards an improvement in my second life right?