Chapter 15: Dragon Fruit Iced Tea

Ely's POV:

The duke...my husband insisted on tending to my discomfort so after a few minutes of resisting; I shivered as I felt her cool fingers inside me as he applied the salve inside gently before moving outside.

It was an oddly intimate act that I never imagined the dour-looking guy would do for me.

And this was the same douchebag that left me for a month?

Hard to believe.

He even helped me put on my night robe as we sat down by the fireplace for the first meal.

Today's plate was coddled eggs and sausage with mushroom quiche and a small side salad with toast.

And Linda must have perfected that other iced tea drink I taught her a few days back

It was a mix of peach-infused tea that was mixed with honey and as an added texture, I added some sliced dragon fruit cubes.

The pitcher looked pretty and the dragon fruit cubes were a great visual effect.

I hurriedly poured myself and glass and noticed the duke staring at it.

"Would you like some?" I offered.

"What is that? It does not look like juice." his eyes were on the floating fruit cubes.

" his eyes were on the floating fruit cubes

"Ah well. This is iced tea. I taught Linda how to make this Dragonfruit Iced Tea days ago."

"Dragonfruit?" his frown twitched into a half-smile as he lifted his glass. "Maybe a little would be fine."

I poured him half the amount of mine as we started eating. The silent clinks of the plate were pleasant since I have always eaten alone for the past month.

Then his hand went around the glass and he took a sip. I watched his expression change to one of surprise as he continued to drink until it was empty.

"This is similar to that orange drink you gave me last night but the taste is lighter and refreshing." he licked his lips as I poured him some more tea.

"It is a Peach infused tea with some honey and the dragon fruit was added for its texture. It is similar to kiwi but milder." I explained as he drank more tea.

"I had no idea tea could taste this way. And it is not even mana enriched so how could it be this good?"

His words made me proud of how hardworking Linda was. I was right in entrusting her with making my iced tea drink.

"I have always loved cooking and making delicious things to drink and eat. This is something I came up with since summer is upon us and the servants needed something to cool themselves other than just water." I fiddled with my eggs before eating the one on my spoon.

"You have cooked for the servants before?"

The sudden change in his voice made me look at him and I shivered at the cold look on his handsome face.

"Well, there were circumstances. Besides I needed something to do since I was sent to live here. Not many activities were available to me and I happen to like rewarding those who were kind to me.....despite my situation.." I explained in a dignified manner. "So please don't punish them. I know that look and I will be very upset if you do."

His frown lessened as he grabbed my hand and kissed it. His warm breath tickled my sensitive skin.

"I never meant to leave you for this long. I apologize. Everything is going to change." He answered me. " I will make sure to move you to the main house today."

Somehow I was elated that my situation has finally changed but then I found myself missing this place. The kitchen was wide enough for me to do my experiments and I even had plans to turn a few of the rooms into a spice storage and even a room for storing coffee and tea.

"Uhm...thank you. But Duke.."

"I told you. Call me Ezran when we are alone or Ez....as you called out last night." he brushed his thumb against my hand in slow strokes and I blushed.

"Then...Ezran." I took a deep breath. "May I please use the bridal house into my own personal culinary house?"

"Culinary House?"

"It is a place where I can make my own dishes. I swear that the cost and upkeep will be deducted from my allowance. I only ask that I be able to suggest menu changes to the new chef if it is something that can improve life here at the estate."

I was about to mention making use of the spare rooms when Ezran stopped me with a hand.

"You may use the bride house as you please but....you will not use your allowance for the upkeep of it. My finances are not so minuscule that a few ingredients will beggar me. Just submit the receipts to Milford every month and you may cook anything you wish."

His generosity was really something. Is it because he was please with me last night?

Come to think of it. I do not want to be too forward since ladies in this world are supposed to be all demure and proper.

But I wonder if he enjoyed it? He was pretty...big and the heat he gave off while we did it was rather intense. A man of his appetite will never be satisfied with just one round.

Does that mean he might visit his mistress? Or maybe an assignation with a married lady?

I have to ground myself that despite his kind ways, this marriage was not a love match. I do not want to be a love lovestruck fool who stalks her husband because it was a one-sided emotion.

After a nice pleasant breakfast. We ate some sweets that I had Linda purchase yesterday. I found out that my husband has a sweet tooth as well from the way he demolished three custard bread and two chocolate croissants.

I noticed that the duke finished the last of the iced tea while I was not looking.

"I have to go and supervise some of my knights who are training at the barracks." He stood up and wore the cloak. "I will have Milford move your belongings by this afternoon. Maybe you want to keep yourself busy until then?"

"I will. Take care of yourself Ezran." I nodded at him but he lingered as if he wanted to bring something up. "Yes?"

" Can you fix up some for me later? The...iced tea. I like the orange one as well so...if you could spare some time." He seems unused to this approach.

I gave him a big smile because I have more than enough fruits and cooled tea for it. It was also a wonderful feeling when someone likes your food.

"I would be happy to fix up some iced tea for you and your men. " I happily answered which made him stare at me for a while before he turned around and left the room.

He is a nice man. I think...I could be friends with him if I can't learn to love him.

I rang the bell and Linda soon came to help me draw the bath while Lisa and Beatrice cleared the table.

Suddenly, inspiration struck me like lightning as I hurriedly scrubbed myself clean and felt the sharp pain in my hip and groin so I thread carefully and applied more salve before I walked towards the kitchen.

It would be the perfect dish for a hot summer!