Chapter 64: A Shocking Revelation

Linda's POV:

As I left my lady to rest for the day after getting her water.

Take the rest of the day off. Go to the city and buy yourself something good.

I smiled to myself. Lady Alaina is really kind and fair to me. When I am with her, I do not feel the pressure to serve her because she never uses harsh words and insults.

She was.....different.

Not only that but the lady is teaching me how to cook by being her assistant at the culinary house. I have never thought much about the food that we eat every day but through her eyes, my philosophy of food has changed.

I have grown to appreciate chefs that truly put their all into their food and I soon learned that when one is taught the right way, they learn well.

That is why I decided to go on a food trip for this day for research. Since it has been a while since I had a day to myself.

As I went to my room and got myself ready. I heard a few maids speaking amongst themselves as I crossed the gardens to get to the back entrance.

"Is it just me or am I the only one feeling excited about our next meal?"

"I know! Usually, I eat just to get something in my stomach but ever since Lady Alaina took over the household, I have noticed that the food has improved."

I smiled as the maids gossiped about other things as I left the back gate which was now guarded by the Aisenburg knights.

They greeted me as I presented the permission slip my lady gave me to go out and I hired a hack to check out the latest cafe that was supposedly popular amongst the servants these days.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm?

It's....not as good as the rumors says it would be.

I took a piece of bread and tried to dip a small piece but it was too hard so I just dunk the whole thing into the meat stew.

This cafe's bread is hard as an over dried jerky and the soup is bland and has too much cream.

Not like milady's soups. Her tomato soups are the best and we always get a small cup of it with our meals. The mild tart and savory flavor mixed with cream and herbs make this thing taste like dishwater.

"Maybe their famous item which was the beef roast sandwich will be different." I remained hopeful as I ate the softened bread.

The sandwich came and it was generous as the bread and large amounts of meat were used.

I had to press it down and managed to bite into it. The meat was nice and juicy but....it lacked seasoning. The bread was a little better than the soup bread that was served but overall...

It was just lots of meat inside the bread. Rather disappointing.

I ordered one more time and tried their steak pie but the crust was slightly charred on the edges, the gravy was a bit salty and the "steak" was a bit bland but the sear was good. The only thing I liked was the bland potato mash as it slightly lessened the saltiness of the main dish.

"How was it, dear?" An older lady smiled at me and asked about the food.

"It is.... good." I lied to her and she moved on to serve another person that went inside. "I guess...I am spoiled now, thanks to milady's cooking."

I was supposed to get up and leave when I heard a familiar voice amidst the lively atmosphere of the cafe.

"So you are telling me that you have found no dirt against that..that woman!" The female voice was annoyed and angry at whomever she was talking to. "You are not a very good spy then, Mrs. Yates."

I was sitting alone on the couch seat next to theirs so I am hidden from sight from the woman who was talking but...

What in the world was the head maid doing with Lady Margaret Lorax?

I stopped myself from leaving and ordered dessert as a pretense to listen in on their conversation.

"The Lady Alaina is much loved by the majority of the servants. I was also shocked that after His Grace arrived, he even moved her to his bedroom."

"What?! She managed to seduce him that well?"

"Yes. She is very good. The Duchess is not the weakling I thought she was. It would have been easy to bully her but she was hiding her claws all along."

"Goddess! This cannot be. Look into her family then. If we can use anything to bring down her reputation then it will be worth the money."

"Yes, milady."

I heard an unmistakable sound of a coin pouch being handed over.

"Remember this Mrs. Yates. If you do not want my other spy to report to Duke Ezran that you tried to drown his new bride on their first night out of spite for your master. Do your job well. I don't let double-crossers live."

My blood went cold at what I just heard.

Mrs. Yates....tried to kill Lady Alaina when she first came to Aisenburg Manor?

I recalled that the head maid seemed a bit agitated that night after Lady Alaina was forced to stay at the bride house.

Then as days passed by, she seems to have calmed down as if she was safe once again.

Oh my goddess!

I heard Mrs. Yates murmur something to herself and I scooted far inside the shadows of the seat as I saw a cloaked figure accompanied by a well-dressed guard leave.

"Foolish stupid girl. Your greed will be your downfall." Mrs. Yates scoffed. "I simply have to bide my time but for now I will have to carry out her orders. Once I make enough money, I will leave that cursed mansion and its owner."

I frowned at the hate behind the older female's voice. What grudge could the old bat have against the duke?

To think that she tried to drown the duchess on her first night here? I must report this her Grace at once.

I waited until head maid left. She was also cloaked but her hands were gloveless and I saw the nasty scar on her wrist.

It was a disturbing sight but that was the confirmation that it was her since I saw a glimpse of it when she took off her gloves once.

I forgot about the food trip and watched as she went out before I left as well in a quiet manner.

Looking around, I saw Mrs. Yates get on a hired carriage and drove off. I walked towards the direction of the Aisenburg Estate in a hurry.

"I also have to tell her that we have a spy in our household as well."