Chapter 38: Proving Himself

Ely's POV:

The door opened. It must be Linda.

"Linda, can you make me a sandwich and refill the tea please," I said as I placed my half-filled glass on the tray. "I still have a few more papers to look through so go ahead and take your dinner."

"I already sent your maid away to eat, wife."

My husband's deep voice made me stop as I felt his body heat behind my back. He reached over and drank what was left of my tea before he examined the pile of papers I have finished approving.

"Neat as usual. Pierce has been singing your praises a lot lately. " the respect and approval of his voice made my cheeks redden a bit as he suddenly placed a hand on my shoulder. "Dress up nicely. Something in purple that sets off your vibrant eyes."

"Are we going somewhere?"

"Yes. We are going to make a statement. Welcome to your first taste of Illiosan high society." He whispered. "Meet you at the carriage in an hour?"

I turned around and he was suddenly gone like the wind.

What was that all about?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ezran's POV:

A few hours later,

I knew something was wrong when I received a letter from my wife. She looked serene but I can smell the scent of pain and sadness from her.

After reading the contents of the letter from Lady Lorax. I felt like wringing her pretty neck.

That brazen fox...

They were words of provocation disguised as flowery love words and she made it seem like we were still lovers. She purposely did this to sow doubt in my wife's mind.

And it worked.

No wonder my wife looked pale and unhappy. Society gossip travels fast and she is an intelligent woman. She is no fool.

She knows who Margaret is to me.

But I am pretty sure I ordered a "Black Blossom" box sent to her to end our relationship the moment I came back. Most of the proper noble ladies complied or are usually scared of risking my wrath to oppose me.

Shit.

Well, if she wants to see me then I should do just that but I won't come to her like an obedient puppy.

A sudden image of my wife crying all alone somehow made a dull ache inside my chest. It baffled me because I never felt such pain before when thinking of a woman.

Alaina...

This time, I will properly finish things.

and I will prove myself to my wife.

-------------------------------------------------------------

My wife was very punctual, she picked a soft violet gown with white cream lace that was functional and easy to move in. Her hair was curled and tied in a ponytail only for the ends to rest against a pale shoulder. An amethyst thicker graced her lovely neck which was paired with simple earrings and a bracelet.

Most women needed 2-3 hours to get ready but she obeyed me within an hour and was here now in the carriage.

However, my happiness faded when she won't even meet my eyes even when the carriage moved. Her pretty face was staring outside, her stare was focused on the wide grassy plains and small picket fences where farmers were herding their livestock back to their stables and barns.

"Wife. will you hear me out?"

She did not turn her head.

"I see. "

I am a proud man myself but then again....so was she.

So be it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What is this?" My wife looked shocked.

We had entered a lavish mansion home but it was a bit smaller than mine. The servant bowed and scraped at my feet the moment he saw who I was. When I growled at him to show us the way; he immediately complied.

"A party she is currently attending."

"She?" Her pretty face then realized who I was referring and she looked confused.

I squeezed her hands and whispered in her ear. That was the first time her stiff expression changed. It was filled with curiosity and anxiety.

As soon as we were announced, I immediately made my way to the hostess and offered my greetings to the lady of the house. She was immediately stupefied that a duke was attending her soiree and looked positively pleased as she curtsied while we finished a few minutes of conversation before leaving to mingle.

As I had imagined, many of the nobles were captivated by my wife's lovely features and her inherent grace. Her nervousness vanished once she knew that I won't leave her to the vultures as she exchanged a few words with some matrons and a few young ladies.

As she finished all her talks with them on time, I ushered her away as I already had a plan in mind. After asking a nearby servant to a discreet missive to "her"; I guided my wife into the gardens where I asked her to sit beside a tall hedge.

"Sit and listen. Trust me."