Chapter 87: A Chance Meeting - Part 2

Ezran's POV:

This scent...

It reminds me of my wife.

We were marching back to Guthrie after dismantling our camp when Oswald pointed out that there were 2 groups of wagons on the road to our camp.

I remember that the rations team was supposed to make their delivery this week but then a familiar scent made me ride towards the group.

It has been almost half a year since I left my wife and somehow I can smell that unique scent I always seem to love whenever my nose nuzzled her bare skin.

But all I saw was the Lady Lorelei, who frequently helped out the ration team her father sponsors and then...

There is Lady Lorax.

My eyes stopped and glared at my former lover in silent annoyance. Ever since I ended things with her; she still sends me love letters that I burn without hesitation.

And just when I thought that she had given up, the brazen girl had the gall to show up before me?

I have done everything I can to dissuade her. Why is she here again?

I ignored her and got off my new Emyu who shook its neck and feathers.

I walked towards the Lady Baristani, whose pretty face paled as I got closer so I stopped at a distance so that she would not faint.

"Lady Lorelei. Thank you for responding to our letter for more rations. Your men must be exhausted. Allow us to accompany you back to our new camp" I bowed and a certain scent tickled my nose again so I sharply raised my head. "We have moved our men into Guthrie Castle to establish a base and we were in a hurry so we were not able to warn your father about the change of location. This is why we have come in person to accompany you to our new stronghold."

"I-It would be a pleasure, Your Grace." she curtsied. "An-and it is no problem. please lead the way."

I saw another shadow behind her who also bowed to me. The scent became stronger and I approached the woman behind Lady Lorelei and caught her before she could back out.

I scarcely notice Lady Baristani inching away from me, my gaze was on the young woman who stood still and refused to look at me.

"Lift your head and look at me," I growled menacingly.

She stood still and took a deep breath before looking at me with big brown eyes framed by curly bangs and a flushed face.

I felt like someone punched me in the gut when I saw this girl. She showed reluctance but not the usual fear as she met my gaze head-on.

The scent was familiar but she looks nothing like my duchess. but my draconic senses tingled as I grabbed her hand and she resisted.

"Mi-milord..." her husky voice made my body throb as she tried to pull away from me. "It hurts."

My attention snapped back to her wrist which was turning red. I loosened my grip but still, I did not let her go.

She seems familiar. My reaction to her was a shock to my senses because the only woman I have ever felt this way was for my wife.

"Who is she? Answer me." I demanded of the Lady Baristani who paled at my voice.

"She's Lady Aisenburg's new protege. She was tasked by the duchess to teach the ones in charge of the soldier's meals on how to cook some new dishes." Her terrified rapid-fire answer made me look at her again.

Could this be the reason why this girl affects me? Because she must have been in close proximity with my wife?

Then I recognized another new face.

Milford sent me a letter with descriptions of my wife's new knight and this young knight fits the bill.

Kain bowed to me and explained how he was tasked to guard this girl by my wife's orders.

It made sense but at the same time....it does not.

"Soldiers! Shield Formation! "

Within minutes, my unit formed a protective wall around the wagons.

"Take care of these two ladies, Kain, and report to me once we get to the Castle." My command made the young knight bow down in compliance before my grip turned gentle as I patted the girl's head.

She looked surprised at my actions and so did everyone else so I stopped and left to mount my war bird.

"Yo-your Grace!" The high-pitched voice of Lady Lorax grated on my nerve as she tried to get my attention.

But I have no time to waste on her as I directed my Emyu forward to lead my unit back to Guthrie along with the food wagons...

As we marched forward, I could still feel the warmth of the girl's hair on my hand and the scent of hers that lingers in my nose.

I will have to observe her a bit. I cannot shake off the feeling that I am missing something.