Chapter 73: The Winner is...

”My wife,

I am glad that you know what you want. If you think the young man has potential as a chef then you may recruit him.

Travel safe and I will await a letter on how it went.

P.S I miss our nights together. My bed feels cold these days."

-Duke Aisenburg's response to the Duchess' last letter.

Duchess: A little turned on that her husband misses her..

Neo's POV:

Hans fell on his knees when he saw the result of the competition.

We won!

On our side. 25/25 raised their hand everytime the Tavern Master asked if they loved the food.

Then after sampling all our dishes himself and answering what vegetable or fruit did we use for each dish. He moved to Hans' side.

10/25 raised their hand for his Meat Pie and Gravy

12/25 hands were up for his Tavern Beef Stew

0/25 for his Boiled Berries and Bread since it never made their table.

The Tavern Master did not need to sample food he has eaten over and over again so he asked his son of he made any improvements by adding vegetables.

When Hans stubbornly disclosed that all he added were onions and garlic for both his pie and stew.

Which was not enough to earn him his own father's approval.

"Vegetables are bland and tasteless shitty things. Meat is the king at our tavern! Why should we change it!"

"Stupid fool! Your refusal to make improvements and grow as a chef is why Neo's Team won. Here! You stupid idiot! Taste this and know the reason why you lost!" He thrust our dishes at him and his team

Hans and his helper slowly took bites and they blanked out as they were suddenly everything.

"This is good!"

"How did they do this?!"

"How is this delicious!? I cannot stop eating it!"

His assistants exclaimed as I saw a smug smile from Lady Alaina.

The proud tavern chef gave me a strange look of shock and hatred before he kick his stew cauldron in anger and stomped away.

The villagers applauded as the Tavern Master asked me what I wanted to do with Hans.

I asked that the village ensures my home and sister's protection.

The Tavern Master promises to do just that and swore to train his no good son from scratch.

Since the old man was known to be stronger than his son. I believe that he would keep Hans in line.

"Also....I wanted to know if I can have that mashed avocado, flat bread and meat skewers recipe. The taste of it was so good. I'll pay you 15 gold drachmas for it."

The Tavern Master's offer was that much? That is enough to buy what we need for three months!

"I know that the main dish and dessert will cost me a big amount if I offer for it but I assure you that I will make the mashed avocado and flatbread faithfully to the last ingredient."