Extra Chapter: A Mother's Memory

A few days after Lorelei returned to Illios after completing 1 month at the Guthrie Campaign,

Lorelei's POV:

"Here you go, Sir." 

I placed Mother's special muffins in front of my father while the maid brought him his morning coffee just the way he likes it.

Black. No sugar.

Edelweiss Baristani was a man of few words. His dark teal hair and piercing purple eyes are the hallmark features of our family house.

Austere looking and highly disciplined, I don't know what a smile on his face would look like.

Well...It has been years since he did smile. I heard from the servants that he used to smile a lot.

Back when Mama was still alive.

His stern features wavered and his cold eyes widened as he ate the muffin the duchess and I perfected. A tiny bite turned to larger ones. Until he put down the newspaper he always has his nose in....

And started devouring the muffin.

I kept my smile to myself. In the past, whenever I tried to bake him muffins; he would scold me in a strict manner.

Don't waste ingredients on something I won't even enjoy eating. Just bring me coffee.

But now....

"Where...did you get this?" his voice was trembling. His gaze was on me now.

"I made it, sir." 

"You?"

"Yes sir."

He looked at me even more and tapped the empty plate where the muffin was.

"Give me one more. No. Give me two more."

"Of course." I asked the nearby maid and gave the order.

Within a few minutes, two warm muffins grace the baron's plate. As I ate my breakfast of plain oat porridge with milk and honey; I saw my father finish off the muffins plus two more refills of coffee.

Before he stood up to leave.

"Lorelei."

"Y-yes?" I nearly jumped at his tone, he usually leaves without a word to me.

"......Make more tomorrow."

Then he left. The footman opened the door and he was gone.

The maids all hurried to my side and we all smiled. The quiet air was broken and we all had triumphant grins.

"He ate it!" said one 

"He ate more than one!" exclaimed the other.

"You finally perfected your Mother's Special Muffins! Congratulations, Milady!" an older maid looked touched. " It has been a while since the baron had such a full breakfast. All that coffee was not good for him."

"Right. Tell me Lucy." I addressed the older maid, who was my mother's former hand maid. " What other foods did my mother cook for Papa?"

"Well...Let's see."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Months after the Aisenburgs returned....

After narrowing down a list, I began visiting my friend to help me re-create the food my mother used to make for my father after my success with her Muffins.