Chapter 89: Taking over the Soup Kitchen

*(Update to my lovely readers. I'll be using the term mana spirits or sprites whenever the FL is interacting with Undine or Igneus. Pls note that both terms mean the same thing. Thanks!)

Ely's POV:

He was here again.

When Ezran came into our area and announced that our cargoes will be our own responsibility and that no one... Not even Lady Lorax can order us to hand it over.

We were both relieved. The duke's command is the law so not even Lady Lorax can undermine his word.

I tried hard not to appear nervous in front of my husband but....

Seeing him so close...

and yet so far...

I...feel conflicted. But as much as I want to tell him; I promised him that I would stay safe in the city and...I already broke that promise.

I don't want him to hate me...

Not when...we are beginning to get close.

"Miss Elena...is it?" his voice sounded distant and I looked up.

He had gotten closer to me!

His ruby red gaze looking at me intensely. His handsome face looked cold, devoid of any expression.

So....this is his face when he is not at home.

"Ye-yes, Milord." I stammered quite convincingly and trembled while looking away.

His gaze sharpened and then sighed and stepped back.

"My imposing presence always makes people cower." He looked disappointed. "Carry on."

And just like that...

He left.

My heart ached a little. I wanted to soften his cold expression but....not right now.

It is not the time.

"Wow. Being married to you really changed him." Lorelei said. "his overwhelming presence always makes weak minded people faint. But lately, he has been tempering his imposing aura. I know that you were acting so good job being so convincing."

"Really? I don't feel anything like that when I am with him." I said.

"There a few people who can speak with him while with standing the pressure. Like the Prince and you. That is a good thing is it not?"

"Yes....."

Another fact about my husband I had no idea about. Hmm..

"Let's....just get back to work." Lorelei smiled.

"Okay."

I took inventory of what little foodstuff survived in the larders and storage rooms.

Perishable food items were placed in the larder while flour, salt, sugar and other non-perishable foods were noted and kept in dry storage.

The people the duke left to help us were young and eager.

Lorelei and I discussed how to stock the food and decided to keep all perishables in the larder since they have a cool temperature while the none perishables are kept at the storage.

Because I was decisive and knew how to categorize supplies properly, we finished organizing everything around afternoon.

"Phew. I require a nice cup of tea or even water for that matter." My friend used a dainty handkerchief to wipe the moisture from her brow as Kain gave me my own handkerchief to wipe my sweat.