Chapter 104: An Act of Defiance

Ezran's POV:

My hands clenched as the small paper I received from a messenger hawk caught fire, causing my men to jump.

I was currently escorting the Royal Princes and the foreign guest. Halfway to the Warp Point where we would be teleported to Guthrie, I received an urgent message from my second-in-command.

Urging my Emyu forward, I gave command of the entourage to one of my senior knights and jumped off my horse before I went to the forest and started running till I saw a cliff and jumped.

Bonds cracked and black flames engulfed my body as I spread my scaly wings and I flew at a breakneck pace towards the warp point's fortress.

The content of the letter was straight to the point. Oswald is known for his bluntness and the words he word shook me to my very core.

{ Supply Carts compromised and Ambushed by  the last remnants belonging to King Chernov's faction. Lady Alaina protected the gates and is now weakened from using magick. Magick used were both high tier. Possibly Class 2 Ice Barrier and a Class 3 Containment Spell. Sweeping the city for any survivors.
Her condition is unknown.}

My wife promised me that she won't use high class magick.

I felt the fortress gates are wider and bigger.

The thought of her bedridden and weak made me unable to breathe.

Oswald said she casted it all on her own? Was she even thinking?

My heart ached as I flapped my wings faster and went straight towards the Warp Point's portal that transported me to Guthrie, paying no mind to the shocked faces of the soldiers there.

For the first time in my life I got angry at Alaina and I aim to give her a good scolding when she is out of danger.

After a few minutes, I landed on the other side.

Which was the Castle courtyard, scaring a few servants as I shifted back to my human form.

I yelled for someone to tell me where my wife was and a younger girl servant said that she was in the castle's hospital ward.

Cursing in several languages, I made my way there.

When I arrived at the spacious room, I saw one man dressed in brown speaking to someone in a drape-covered bed.

I stormed in and startled the man beside my wife who looked shocked to see me even as her knight Kain bowed to me in greeting.

She looked a bit pale and I saw her hand being held by the doctor who bowed to me as well.

"Doctor, How is my wife?" I growled at him.

"She is a bit weak from using her mana, Your Grace. But it is nothing a few hours rest would not fix. I already gave her a recovering tonic and her vitals are strong."

"Thank you, Doctor. Now please leave. Even you, Sir Kain. I want a word in with my wife."

The doctor obeyed and quickly left.

Kain followed after.

My eyes are were on my wife.

She looked tired but I can see that her soul remains strong but Oswald's message made my anger resurface again.

But when my eyes met hers, as if by some miracle. I could see her body trembling as well as faint circles under her luminous eyes.

All of the anger melted away out as I sat down on the bed and hugged her in my relief...