Chapter 44: A Cake Accident

Belmont's POV:

I felt like someone punched my chest because I had a hard time breathing as I beheld the most beautiful woman in the kingdom.

Even the current belle never made me feel this giddy.

Goddess above, she was beautiful!

Her lovely face was stained with pink upon seeing me as she bowed gracefully before me. I have never seen such perfection in a single woman. Her blonde beauty rivals that of the fabled Fey Queen.

"I am sorry, milord. A servant told me to go through here as a shortcut to my destination and I seem to have made a wrong turn somewhere." she looked confused from the frantic way her lovely blue-green eyes darted from one place to another. "Do you think you can help me find the Duke of Aisenburg's quarters?"

Aisenburg?

This lovely creature is looking for Ezran?

which means...

"Milady, Are you by any chance..?"

before I could say something, an agonized scream came from the royal kitchen.

Instinctively I knew something was going on to go horribly wrong today.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ely's POV:

When I heard a scream from the nearby building, I saw the handsome silver-haired man turn back but then he stopped and looked at me with troubled purple-blue eyes.

"My apologies. I will call a servant to show you to Ezran's quarters but I have to go." He said politely before he bowed and walked away.

Since he calls my husband by his first name, I figured he would not be angry if I just follow him right?

So I trailed after him until I was in a room that looked like every professional chef's dream. There were stoves and ovens all lined up on both sides. Numerous huge counters where one can prep a large amount of food and wooden cooking stations at the back where I heard sizzling sounds and a symphony of someone commanding the other chefs.

It took me back to the times when I was able to do those things. Those were hectic times but I was always with a smile whenever my team finished work.

I hid behind one of the ingredient shelves as I listened to a rather rotund chef who was scolding a younger cook and a ruined pile of cake at his feet.

The silver-haired man looked positively different. His aura was cold as he spoke but they were too far away for me to hear but from the way, the fat chef was pointing jerkily at the younger one and then at the cake.

I surmised that they were all upset because of a ruined dessert.

Curiously, I went nearer and heard their voices more clearly this time.

"Your Highness. There is not enough time to prepare another Aubergine Cheesecake...." the fat chef was sweating buckets.

"I am well aware Chef Pepin. However, my father the king will want someone to take responsibility for this."

The chef glared at the young man who was trembling on the floor and squealed out in outrage.

"....You! You stupid idiot! Because of your idiotic mistake, you are fired!"

"Y-your highness! Please spare me! I have my family to think of! Punish me severely but please let me continue to work here!" The raw desperation and fear in the young man's tone somehow how resonated with me.

Because I was also someone who had to struggle to provide for my family during my younger days and I had to endure a few humiliating insults from head chefs I use to work under.

I looked at the younger man who was bowed in front of the Prince now. He had short-cropped dark brown hair and clean nails; his uniform was impeccable, and only his apron had food splatters on it, but I also sensed something from him.

A sleeping spirit....just waiting for the right catalyst.

When the fat chef kicked him for daring to beg; I saw that he had a pretty face which was offset by a scar near his temple as he fell on his back.

I decided to take action because this was simply senseless work brutality.

They all noticed me the moment I came out as I bend down to help the young man up with a hand.

"Can you stand up?" I asked him softly and he seems dumbstruck for a moment before he took my gloved hand as I pulled him up.

"How dare a woman enter a man's kitchen space! Get out! Shoo! Shoo, I say!" The fat idiot was about to storm toward me but he was held off by the silver-haired man.

They called him Your Highness, which means he is a prince. But which prince though?

*There were Four princes in Illios; the crown prince and third prince were born to the queen while the other two princes were from his consorts.

*{ Most royal families in La Vita practice polygamy. }

Judging from how he seems a bit younger than I; he could be the second or the first prince....but wait.

The Royal Almanac says that most of the Crown Prince are those born with silver hair and periwinkle eyes so....this guy is the crown prince!

"Royal Chef Pepin. It is rude to scold an honoured guest." The coldness in his voice caused the chef to shut his trap.

"A..An honoured guest?" the chef's piggy eyes looked at me insolently.

"She is the Duke of Aisenburg's wife. Lady Aisenburg." The prince's words caused everyone to turn pale white at his words.

Even the round-bellied chef was shaking in his shoes as his insolence turned to fear. His thick lips blubbered noisy words of apology.

One mention of my husband and they all look like they would pee their pants.

My husband must be scary to others...

"Your highness. It seems like I have forgotten my manners to introduce myself." I curtsied low and bowed my head. " My name is Alaina Aisenburg, wife to Duke Ezran. The timing is inappropriate but may I ask why a chef is getting fired over one measly cake?

My words caused everyone to gasp out loud.