Chapter 108: My Family

This chapter is a chonky one.

12,912 words... lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hope you enjoy it! ('^ω^')

-------

The day... has come.

The day a few weeks back I had thought was so far away from me is now here, right in front of my eyes. Saying goodbye to Dr. Joy was tough, especially considering how much she's done for me. No words could ever express my gratitude for taking care of me during the weakest moments of my life.

I still remember how warm and tight her embrace was as she hugged me for the last time, when the borders of the airport no longer allowed her to accompany us by our side. I still remember how emotional and soft her voice was as she told me her last goodbye.

"Take care, (Y/N). If you ever need anything, please... don't hesitate to come to me."

The plane's engines were roaring in my ears as I brushed a hand on my shoulder, reminiscing that warm feeling of comfort and protection Dr. Joy gave me. Not exactly the same, but very much similar to my beloved Ms. Falida's touch.

Outside the window beside me, I watched as the pilots tested the flaps of the wings, bringing it to its highest and its lowest, and making sure all was alright. The intercomms turned on, the captain announcing the flight's near take off with a voice laced with professionalism.

Opposite of the window, the cabin crew rushed through the hallway, reminding and checking each passenger to fasten their seatbelts, before going to their own seats and putting on theirs.

My eyes fell a bit, landing on Annie who was busy checking out the magazines the plane offered, flicking through the pages half-interestedly.

A slight jolt in my seat made me turn back to the window, noticing that the plane had begun to move forward. I stared through the window, watching as the plane picked up its speed and how the landscape was slowly turning into a blur.

Upon reaching that certain speed, the flaps moved downwards, and lifted the heavy aircraft up and into the air. That slightly weird feeling in my stomach as the plane ascended immediately appeared, but I wasn't bothered by the slightest.

Planes have always been so fascinating to me. How a 300 ton piece of metal can fly in the sky like a bird was unbelievable. It doesn't defy the laws of physics, but it's still amazing how a turn of the flaps on the wings can creat enough tension and manipulate the air around it, forcing this the vehicle to rise into the air.

The ground slowly faded from my view, vanishing in white clouds. A moment later, the plane rose high enough that it was now flying above the clouds, the sky now picking up a tint of a darker blue as we climbed up.

The PA system turned on again, informing us all of the flight information, time when taking off and the approximate time of landing, the altitude and speed we were crusing on and such- I didn't pay much attention to be honest. My ears bloked out everything else the moment I heard the flight's destination.

(Hometown).

The place I was born and raised, the place where I went through the event that would change my life forever. The place I lost my parents, met Ms. Falida, and also all my brothers and sisters in the orphanage.

The place I will forever hold dear in my heart.

My eyes flickered to the lights above me, noticing the seatbelt one no longer on. I unclasped it, slouching in my seat as much as I wanted. Annie took off hers as well, getting as comfortable as she could while putting on her earphones to listen to some music.