Chapter 53: Protect

9th October 2018

My kitten, Taka, passed away :"(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm Kenny. Nice to meet you (Y/N)."

"Pleasure's all mine," I replied with a smile, letting go of his hand.

Kenny smiled as well. "You look young. How old are you, if I may ask?"

"Um, sorry, but I don't really see how that is relevant to anything."

"Ah," he chuckled, "That's understandable."

He gazed at me silently for a few seconds, before blurting out, "You're a fine, young woman."

I mentally heaved one of the biggest chunk of air ever, and gave an awkward laugh. "Thanks for the umm... compliment, but I have to go now."

Lowering my gaze, I smiled and waved goodbye. "Bye Jeff."

Jeff gave me a toothy smile, clutching onto Kenny's hand. I gave a nod to the man, before turning around and heading towards Eren and Armin.

"Let's go," I murmured lowly as I passed them, and without a single word, they followed me.

No matter how much I try to ignore it, I can't get rid of the gaping hole that empties my heart. But at the same time, I have to stay strong for the sake of Eren and Armin.

I flinched as I thought about Eren and Armin. Gritting my teeth, I turned on my heels and brought them into a hug.

They both jerked in surprise at the sudden contact, but not long after, Armin slouched and rested his head on the crook of his neck, sniffling softly.

"We'll get through this together," I whispered, feeling my own tears slip down.

Eren tightened the hug, squeezing us all together. "Don't worry. I swear on her grave, I'll protect you all."

"Me too," Armin murmured, also tightening his grip.

I held a sob. "I'll protect you all as we--"

"No!" Eren cut me off, pulling away from the hug. "For years (Y/N), you've always been the one to protect us."

Armin placed a hand on my shoulder. "Now let us return the favor."

"You guys..." I trailed off, worried I might lose it if I continued.

"We've always been leaning on you," Armin said softly.

"Now, you'll lean on us," Eren finished with a nod. "Trust in us (Y/N). We won't disappoint you."

I gave them a weak smile. "I'll take your word for it."

Both of them returned my smile, and we walked side by side back to Mr. Hannes.

All of a sudden, it hit me. Because of the whole scene with Kenny, I forgot what I was initially supposed to do.

"Hey," I started out, "How would you two feel if we went back to Paradis tonight?"

Both Eren and Armin halted in shock, their eyes wide as they stared at me.

"Tonight?" Eren repeated, his eyes widening.

Armin scratched the back of his head. "Isn't that a bit too soon....?"

I remained silent as I stood gazing at them, waiting for an answer.

Finally, Eren replied, "Hah, you're so unpredictable (Y/N). Fine, I'll go."

"You will?" Armin gasped, turning to face Eren. The brunette nodded, his eyes remaining on me.