Chapter 52: Letting Go

"May she rest in peace."

I gazed at the freshly covered pile of soil, my eyes blurry with tears that are yet to fall.

I watched as people started to walk away, a light drizzle beginning to form. The rain didn't bother me at all. The sad tears of the sky helped me cope with the aching pain my heart was feeling.

I kneeled down to the grave, brushing my hand over the cool, damp soil. The distinct scent of rain filled my nostrils, making me feel slightly at peace.

I could hear Eren sobbing behind me, and the soft whimpers of Armin.

The tears stopped flowing, and all of a sudden, the harshness of reality brought me back to my senses.

She's gone.

She'll never come back.

There's no use if I stay here drenched in rain, crying my eyes out, begging her to come back.

It's over.

I slowly stood up, ignoring back the stabs of grief to my heart. I shook my head, fighting back the visions of my memory with her.

Rest in peace, Ms. Falida. Goodbye.

Despite the chains that tugged my feet to stay, I turned on my heels and walked away, my feet slightly sinking in the muddy soil.

I gave Armin a pat on his shoulder as I passed him. I headed towards a figure standing straight a few meters away, his suit pitch black.

Looking up, I stopped right in front of Mr. Hannes, who held the same expression as me.

Dark.

Expressionless.

"You okay kid?" He asked, his chest rumbling.

I stayed silent for a moment, bowing my head.

        It's over

           No going back.

I must live on.

      No point in shedding more tears.

                                              I have to let her go.

                               Live on.

             Goodbye.

After a while, I gazed up once more, giving him a small nod. Mr. Hannes gave a small, sad smile. "When do you want to go back?"

I hesitated, and glanced back at Eren and Armin, who were still huddled by Ms. Falida's grave. I lowered my gaze, looking back.

"As much as I know how much it would tear them apart if we leave, I know it would be better if we can get them back as soon as possible."

I gently blinked the remains of my tears away. "Staying for any longer could make them severely attached to this place, and that could become a serious issue if we're trying to go back."