Chapter 45: Changes

"Hey Annie?"

"Hm?"

"Where do you keep your diary?"

"It's a journal (Y/N)," Annie scoffed, crossing her arms. "And where I put that book is none of your business."

I rolled my eyes. "Gee, you don't have to be so rude about it. I was just curious."

When Annie didn't reply, I continued, "And what you write is a diary Annie. Deny it all you want, it's still a diary."

Annie pouted and looked away, a faint blush on her cheeks.

A smile slowly crept on my face. "Hey, the diary isn't a weakness remember? It's just our way of coping with hard stuff."

Annie sighed. "I know, I was the one who told you that."

I scooted closer to her. "So why are you so down today?"

The blonde girl buried her head in her arms. "You know... sometimes the diary just isn't enough. Sometimes... we need to talk to a person."

I stayed quiet, wanting to hear what she says next.

"Ca-... can I talk... to you?" Annie asked hesitantly, shuffling uncomfortably.

The answer was so clear. "Of course."

Annie glanced at me with her -rather tired- blue eyes, before slowly telling me what's going on.

"Have you ever been told... to do something you don't want to?"

"Sometimes.. yes," I replied slowly, cautious with my words.

"Well, that's sort of the dilemma I'm going through. I'm supposed to have no trouble doing it, but... I don't know."

I stayed silent as Annie rambled everything to me, listening patiently.

"Reiner and Bertholdt are doing the same thing... yet they aren't pressured the same way as I am.."

The blonde girl took a deep breath. "I don't want to do it... but I have to. I-.. I don't know what should I do.."

I placed my hand on her back, rubbing gently. "What happens if you don't do what you're ordered to?"

Annie shivered at my question. "I don't even want to think about it."

She looks terrified.

Slowly wrapping my arms around, I gave Annie a warm embrace. "Do what you think is right Annie. And remember, I'm always here to lend you a hand."

The blue-eyed girl slightly froze at my hug. She remained silent for several moments, before returning the hug, burying her head on my shoulder.

A smile crept to my face as I rubbed her back, feeling her quivering body slowly returning steady once more.

Annie suddenly flinched in the hug and abruptly pulled away, looking at me with emotional eyes.

Confusion waved over me as the blonde girl kept staring at me with an unreadable gaze.

"Annie?"

It was almost like she was shaken awake. Recognition flooded back in her eyes and she quickly held a hand over her heart, looking away.

"You okay?"

Annie didn't answer before she completely composed herself, leaving no signs of any weakness from before. "I'm.. fine. I- I have to go. Later."

Then she just rushed off, leaving me in utter confusion. I sat there for a few minutes, trying to process everything that has happened.

Her eyes were swirling with so much emotion that it became unreadable. She looked blank and lost, yet so aware of everything going on.