Chapter 85: Scarlet

"(Y/N)! NO!!!!"

Mikasa scrambled up, whining and whimpering as she dragged herself to the edge of the cliff, a trail of blood staining the snow behind her. The wolf poked her head over the edge, her eyes scanning back and forth for any signs of movement, or even an idea of where they fell.

Nothing.

Her ears flattened back as she took a deep breath and howled as loudly and as long as she could, hoping with everything she has that there would be some sort of response.

One second.

Two seconds.

Three seconds.

Four seconds.

Five seconds.

Nothing.

Mikasa slumped forward, returning to her human form as she lay weakly near the edge. Tears pooled in her dull gray eyes as she choked back her cries.

Cries of grief.

Cries of pain.

The raven didn't know the difference. Everything hurt. Her heart, her head, her whole body. Mikasa's pale white skin was almost red all over- cuts, bites and open wounds covering her entire body.

Blood flowed down her face from a bite wound on her head. There was a deep cut under her right eye with the same liquid dripping endlessly from it, draining the color from her face. Her clothes were torn up in multiple spots, the cold seeping in and making her shiver.

From behind her, Mikasa heard the sound of something collapsing. She glanced back, seeing Levi kneeling on all fours in his human form, coughing up blood. There was a giant, horrendous wound on his stomach, stretching out from one side all the way to the other.

There was significantly less injuries on him compared to Mikasa, but physical wounds aren't the only wounds that come from a battle. Levi's eyes were wide open and his body was visibly shaking. With a painful grunt, Mikasa heaved herself up and limped towards her trembling cousin.

"Levi," she rasped out, her voice hoarse and barely audible. Levi glanced up with emotional eyes, quickly catching Mikasa in his arms as her legs gave way. He gently set her down on the snow with shaking arms, his eyes trailing down her many wounds.

"I-.. I'm so sorry. " Levi's voice cracked, forcing himself to look away from the damage he had caused.

Mikasa scrunched up her face, wincing in pain. "I don't blame you."

"Is... is (Y/N)..?"

The female raven remained silent for a few seconds, not knowing how or what to answer. "She fell," she murmured lowly, her eyes glistening with fresh tears as the old ones trailed down her cheek.

Mikasa closed her eyes tightly, feeling her chest tighten in pain. Everything was too much to take in. The alpha she had tremendous respect for- Erwin- was found dead, her good friend Petra nearly died, and (Y/N) sacrificed her life to kill Kenny. Everything happened within the span of just one day.

It was too much. Too much for her to handle. Mikasa sobbed silently, her face growing numb with cold from the snow. Everything felt so surreal. Like the worst, most horrible nightmare had come true. It was only this morning they had been joking and teasing each other, leaving the cabin with high spirits to finish their long expedition.

Never in her life did she expect something like this would happen.

Levi had his head hung low, his lips drawn back in a thin line as a streak of tears streamed down his face, the salty liquid falling to the ground in steady drips. He bit the inside of his lip and stabbed his nails into his palms, hoping the pain would be enough to distract his dark and racing thoughts. Even if it's only for a moment.