Chapter 29: Lake

We all sat around the fire, enjoying it's warmth silently. I had only just realised how cold it was out here, and trust me, my waterproof jacket and scarf couldn't even keep it out.

"So.. who's going back tomorrow?" Petra asked suddenly.

We all shared an uncertain glance. Now that we've experienced it, we all knew just how exhausting the journey was. And walking back and forth?

That would kill for sure.

"We'll... think about that tomorrow Petra."

"Yeah... I figured.." She replied, bringing her knees to her chest. "I'm heading to bed guys. Night."

And with that, she stood up and headed for the 4 people tent.

If you're wondering why it's a 4 people tent, the one person space is for the things that aren't safe to leave outside.

I watched Petra as she took the sleeping bag in the corner with no supplies. Levi wanted a place in the corner as well, so that means I'm in the middle?

Seriously?

Levi sat beside me, his legs crossed and his hand tugging his scarf so that it covered his lower face.

I looked down, looking at the military food I had taken before, reluctantly opening it. It had no scent, and it tasted bland as well.

But even so, I ate it anyway, seeing the fact the only thing I've eaten for the whole day was that snack during the walk here.

It wasn't disgusting, but it wasn't yummy either.

"Tastes bland, doesn't it?" Levi said, still looking the fire.

I glanced at him, confused. "I suppose. How'd you know?"

Levi tugged his scarf even further up. "I've had my fair share of it before."

I wiped my mouth. "You've eaten military food before?"

The raven shrugged. "Quite a few times. Not that it matters anyway."

"...was there no one to cook for you?"

This time, he looked away from me. "Not really."

My heart ached, sympathy rising inside me. I've heard rumours on how Levi's past had been rather bad, but I've never really asked him about it since I believed it wasn't my place to ask.

I said the only thing I could say. "Sorry to hear."

"Don't be," he mumbled, "You don't anything to be sorry about."

"Hearing you... I feel lucky for at least having someone that would cook warm food for me."

Levi slowly turned towards me. "If I may ask... who?"

I gave a small smile remembering her. "She was the owner of the orphanage, Ms. Falida. I owe her so much."

"She... sounds like a good person."

I gave a small nod, burying my face in my arms. "What about you? Who took care of you during harsh times?"

Levi seemed to hesitate for a moment. "My... mother passed when she gave birth to me. From there, my.... uncle was the who raised me."

"Oh, I see... How was your uncle?"

Levi seemed to get uncomfortable with my questions, but he answered it anyway. "Let's just say he wasn't the most loving guy."

I nodded slowly, folding the wrapper that held my food minutes ago. I sighed and chucked it in a plastic bag for our rubbish. I returned to my place next to Levi, feeling bored.