Chapter 95: Missing Light

The short damp grass felt cool to my feet as I slowly walked around Dr. Joy's spacious backyard; the wind gentle but enough to sway my hair; the early sun's rays dazzling from the cracks of the tree leaves and branches beside me warming the bare skin of my arms.

I took a deep breath, reveling how fresh the air was to my lungs, how crisp and woodsy it felt as it travelled down. My eyes fluttered close as parts of the sun hit my face, my legs bringing themselves to a halt as I paused to fully enjoy the pleasure nature offered.

Faint noises of woodland critter and the sound of leaves rustling from the breeze filled my ears, a sense of calmness rushing through every bone and fiber in my body. My lips parted, a silent sigh escaping my mouth as I opened my eyes and continued my morning walk.

Under Dr. Joy's strict muscle exercise everyday, and also perhaps from my enhanced healing abilities, I was able to learn how to properly walk in mere days, contrasting other patients who would take months, or even years.

I flexed my toes, my calf, then my thigh before doing a quick hop, relieved that I had regained parts of my strength, as opposed to when I first woke up and could barely stand. It was all gradually coming back to me, and for that, I couldn't have been more grateful.

My werewolf ears twitched upon hearing the sound rustling branches coming from the woods right beside me. I turned to look at the direction of the noise, silently staring and examining for any signs of movement to follow. The shadows moved, and a squirrel leaped out of the shades, latching on the bark of a tree and sprinting upwards as fast as it could.

The tip of my tail flicked in dismissal, my attention returning to the path I was walking. Over the past few days, I noticed that I was beginning to be able to control the mucle in my werewolf ears and tail. My hearing has noticeably gotten better thanks to the wolf ears, wheras my tail remained as an extra limb that I could use to fan my back when it got too hot.

I glanced at the vast field of green grass, my legs itching to run across it. It's true that I am now able to walk with ease, but can I run? Right now, the only things stopping me from trying was the fear that I might injure something, resulting in longer recovery.

But there was something inside me, deep in the depths of my subconscious mind, that screamed at me to give it a go. Like something trapped begging to be freed. The feeling was interesting to me, and I wondered if that was what werewolves felt if they had been put down for so long.

I took a sharp breath, going against my better judgement and quickly stretched my legs before getting into a starting position. My tail swayed in anticipation; my heart quickly picking up it's pace.

Out of reflex, I glanced at my legs below, swallowing back the anxiety that came with it.

Here we go.

I pushed back, thrusting my body forward and moving my legs in a steady pace. The rush of the wind hitting my face excited me, a smile tugging back my lips as I leaned forward and ran faster, each step kicking up the ground for a firmer leap.

My ears were flat against my head; my tail streaming behind me. I closed my eyes for a few seconds to take in the amazing feeling of running barefoot on the cool grass while being bathed in the warm light of the sun, the sound of the wind surging past me as I ran as fast as my body allowed.

"(Y/N)!" A voice called out from behind me, making me open my eyes and tilt my head to the side, met by the sight of Annie catching up to me. She made it to my side with ease, an eyebrow raised and a smirk on her face.

"Running now, are we?" She asked aloud, barely panting despite the speed and length we were going.

I nodded with a smile, somehow feeling happy that another person had joined me on my joyride. Annie's smirk widened into a smile as she sprinted ahead, yelling out, "If you think this feels good-"