Chapter 32: Before the Night

Levi and Petra had returned a little while after I had read the diary. At the time, I was resting in my sleeping bag.

Not that I actually got any sleep anyways. I guess it was just a 'I close my eyes and think in the darkness' kind of thing.

Days passed after I've found Ilse's diary.

I made sure to act normally, as if nothing ever happened.

Levi asked me how I was holding up the moment he arrived, and I can't figure out if he was really giving shit about my wellbeing or that he was suspicious.

I didn't give it much thought anyways.

After Levi and Petra had returned, they took the rest of the day to rest, and we began exploring around the overhang the next.

Honestly, gathering information for the final report had caught most of attention, and wether I liked it or not, Ilse's diary was pushed to the back of my mind.

There was barely anytime for rest. We spent days after days writing down notes about the flora and fauna of the overhang.

It took us about 2 weeks or so, but we finally finished the forest and the living creatures part.

Since it was impossible to bring out a laptop out here, the three of us agreed to finish writing down every notes for the report, pack up and leave, and spend the rest of the leftover time making the final paper.

We had a week left out here, and that's going to be used to examine the waters in front of the Grassy Overhang.

Every time we needed to resupply or needed new equipments, Levi and Petra would make the journey back and I would stay behind.

And no, I did not find anymore crazy diaries out there.

Two had recently gone back to get the equipments so we can dive into the water.

Even if it is just some diving masks and scuba snorkels they found in the storage room.

"Do we really have to dive into the water?" Petra groaned, saying the same sentence for the third time of the day.

Levi was certainly getting annoyed from it. "For fuck's sake Petra, it's just swimming. You can fucking swim right?"

"Y-yeah," she stammered, looking slightly flustered.

"Then that's enough." The raven sighed and walked off to the lake, leaving a rather disappointed Petra and an awkward me.

I gently nudged her. "What's the big fuss Petra? You scared of eels or something?"

The strawberry-blonde looked down. "It's just I don't exactly feel comfortable swimming in a lake that God knows what went in. And yes (Y/N), I don't like eels."

"Oh," I scratched my head uncomfortably. "Well, the waters look pretty clear and fresh to me. And everyone else is probably swimming in it as well, so if there really is some sort of weird disease in it, at least we'll all be infected."

"I don't get how that's supposed to help."

I shrugged. "Never was good with words Petra. I say things how it is."

The girl chuckled. "You got that right. But hey, you're right. If I go down, everyone else will as well."

"That's about it. See, you're looking less pale Petra. I'm guessing my shitty pep talk helped?"

The girl laughed this time. "Yes (Y/N), your shitty pep talk helped. Now let's go. My future boyfriend awaits."

I snorted when she called the bitch "future boyfriend". I can't even imagine Levi being in a relationship. Who the hell can stand his snarky comments and rainbow vocabulary.