Chapter 78: Downfall

Levi was gone.

Staring back at me were the reddest eyes I had ever seen.

Standing before me was a snarling wolf, who's eyes were burning with the desire to kill.

My body was frozen, unable to move. My feet glued to the ground, unable to run. There was no more Levi. Only a wolf, hungry for blood.

The beast let out another snarl and began approaching me in a menacingly slow pace, its body lowering as it got nearer.

I let out a shaky breath as I slowly raised my hands.

"L-Levi. It's me." I can hear my voice quiver with fear. The wolf paused and gazed deeply into my eyes, gradually tilting it's head to one side.

I gave a nervous smile. "Yeah. It's m-me."

The wolf's head tilted to the other side as it took another step forward, eyes widening even further.

(Y/N), run.

I tried to take a step back, but my foot felt so shaky and heavy to move. It was only when I saw the muscles on the wolf's shoulder bunching when I realized what was about to happen.

RUN!

Adrenaline rushed through my body, finally giving me the strength to run. But it was too late.

Levi pounced forward, the tip of his claw catching my foot. My scream was cut off by my face plummetting to the snow. I quickly recovered and shook off my boot, feeling his jagged claw tear open my skin. Panic made me give no concern for it as I frantically scrambled away.

A hit from one of his hefty paw made me hurl to the side, landing on my back. Levi lunged forward, and out of reflex I brought my arms to cover my neck and head.

His jaws clenched down on my left arm, the sudden pain forcing me to let out a piercing scream. Levi was thrashing his head back and forth, digging deeper into my flesh and ripping it open.

USE THE SNOW!!

Tears sprung out of my eyes as I used my other hand to grab a handful of snow and shoved it in his eyes, hoping to distract him.

It worked. The wolf jumped back, hissing and shaking his head to clear his eyes. Adrenaline was still helping me slightly numb the pain in my arm, enough so that I can still move.

I got back on my feet and began sprinting away, fighting the heavy iron chains that seemed to be holding me back.

Levi quickly recovered, and I could hear the stomps of his paws as he ran towards me. I glanced over my shoulder, watching in horror as the black wolf advanced closer.

Levi leaped forward and I tripped, losing my footing and falling backwards. I winced and looked away as those glistening claws were about pierce my neck, when all of a sudden, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a flash of gold.

Vicious snarls exploded in front of me as a broad shouldered golden wolf fought back Levi, tussling on the snowy floor. The golden wolf was mostly avoiding blows, while Levi showed no hesitation in stricking back.

A flash of light and smoke appeared beside me, followed by a panicked voice calling out my name. "(Y/N)!"

I glanced to the side, surprised to Mikasa, wide-eyed and panting. Her eyes fell to my injured arm and my clawed foot, and she immediately gave me a serious look.

"We need to get you out of here. Now."

I replied hoarsely, "I can't... move."

Mikasa seemed a bit hesitant, but after glancing at the two wolves fiercely battling each other, her hesitance was replaced by determination.