Chapter 89: Overdue Answers

"No more lies. No more secrets. Tell me.... everything."

***

Dr. Joy soon left the room, leaving me and Annie alone together. I stared at her intently, waiting for her to reveal everything that has kept from me.

The truth.

Annie let out a small sigh, glancing down at her nails before speaking in a low and solemn tone. "Alright. What do you want to know first?"

"Why.... why am I a werewolf?" I asked, after a slight pause.

The blonde girl looked away in uncertainty, confusion visible on her face as she silently thought of an answer to the question. "Sorry, (Y/N). I truly don't know."

A sigh escaped me before I could stop myself. I knew I was too hopeful. Annie and I barely knew each other, there's no way she could tell me the reason for all this sudden change. But still, a part of me felt somewhat disappointed.

"Oh..." Was all I managed to get out, gazing down at my bedsheets for a few seconds. "Then... why are you a werewolf?"

Annie brought her eyes back to mine, the confusion quickly disappearing. "I was born a werewolf," she replied with ease. "I grew up as a werewolf and I've been living my whole life as one."

"Is it..." I paused, gulping nervously. "Is it hard?"

"What is?"

"To live as a werewolf."

The girl in front of me tapped her chin a few times before deciding on the answer. "For me, not really. It has its ups and downs, but that's just life in general. Although.... I can't say the same for every werewolf."

I felt my eyebrows furrow in confusion. "Why?"

"Well...." Annie trailed off, the confusion returning to her face. "It's the same thing for normal people. Some are born in poverty, some okay, and some super rich. That kind of thing. But... more werewolf....?"

"What-.... what does 'more werewolf' even mean? Like having to turn into a wolf on a full moon?"

The blonde girl shook her head. "No, not like that. We werewolves don't transform on a full moon. At least, not anymore."

"Oh, you don't?" I was genuinely surprised. If there's anything I learnt from any werewolf myths, books and questionable movies is that a werewolf forcibly turns into a wolf during a full moon.

"No, of course we don't. You don't ever see me or Levi or any other werewolf having to make up some random excuse whenever it's a full moon, do you? It's because we've evolved. The same reason goes to why we can do this-"

Annie slicked back her wolf ears and I watched in silent amazement as it dissolved into her blonde locks, her tail evaporating into the thin air. "Hide our ears and tail. So, blending in with humans isn't much of a problem now."

I was quick to notice how Annie had emphasized the word 'now', a gut feeling telling me that there was a deeper story behind it. "Now?" I repeated questioningly.

"Yes, now. Our ancestors had it very differently," she explained briefly, ending on a dark tone.

Annie wasn't all that surprised when I gave her a hopeful gaze to continue the tale. She sighed, rubbing her temples as I leaned forward in my position. "Listen, I don't know the history for sure, this is just what I've heard from other werewolves. Also, I'm not too good with telling stories so..."

Seeing the usually cold Annie look away in embarrassment was odd yet heartwarming, to say the least. And for the first time in a while, I felt the edges of my lips tug up in a small smile. "That's fine, I'm not good at it either," I said reassuringly.