The Sacking of Umbridge and Attempted Murder by Centaurs

Estella had the slightest idea of what Hermine was planning. She walked half a pace behind her and in front of Harry as they headed down the corridor outside Umbridge's office, knowing it would look very suspicious if she appeared not to know where they were going. She did not dare talk to her or Harry; Umbridge was walking so closely behind them that she could hear her ragged breathing.

Hermione led the way down the stairs into the entrance hall. The dinner loud voices and the clatter of cutlery on plates echoed from out of the double doors to the Great Hall. It seemed incredible to Estella that twenty feet away were people who were enjoying dinner, celebrating the end of exams, not a care in the world....

Hermione walked straight out of the oak front doors and down the stone steps into the balmy evening air.

It was then Estella knew for sure where Hermione was leading them. Never was she so thankful for Hermione's big brain and quickness under pressure.

The sun was falling toward the tops of the trees in the Forbidden Forest now as Hermione marched purposefully across the grass, Umbridge jogging to keep up. Their long dark shadows rippled over the grass behind them like cloaks.

"It's hidden in Hagrid's hut, is it?" said Umbridge eagerly from behind them.

"Of course not," said Hermione scathingly. "Hagrid might have set it off accidentally."

"Yes," said Umbridge, whose excitement seemed to be mounting. "Yes, he would have done, of course, the great half-breed oaf..."

She laughed. Estella felt a strong urge to hex her into oblivion but now was certainly not the time.

"Then...where is it?" asked Umbridge, with a hint of uncertainty in her voice as Hermione continued to stride toward the forest.

"In there, of course," said Hermione, pointing into the dark trees. "It had to be somewhere that students weren't going to find it accidentally, didn't it?"

"Of course," said Umbridge, though she sounded a little apprehensive now. "Of course...very well, then, you three stay ahead of me."

"Can we have your wand, then, if we're going first?" Harry asked her.

"No, I don't think so, Mr. Potter," said Umbridge sweetly. "The Ministry places a rather higher value on my life than yours, I'm afraid."

More like she placed a higher value on her own life than anyone else's.

As they reached the cool shade of the first trees, Estella caught Hermione's eye and grinned at her; they moved at such a quick place that Umbridge, with her shorter legs, had difficulty in keeping up.

"Is it very far in?" Umbridge asked, as her robes ripped n a bramble.

"Oh yes," said Hermione. "Yes, it's well hidden."

Estella glanced around nervously. Hermione was not taking the path they had followed to visit Grawp, but the one they'd followed three years ago to the lair of the monster Aragog.

"Er-are you sure this is the right way?" Harry asked pointedly. He recognized they were not heading in Grawp's direction either.

"Oh yes," she said in a steely voice, crashing through the undergrowth with a wholly unnecessary amount of noise. Behind them, Umbridge tripped over a fallen sapling. Neither of the three paused to help her up again; Hermione merely strode on, calling loudly over her shoulder, "It's a bit further in!"

"Hermione, keep your voice down," Harry muttered, hurrying to catch up with her and Estella. "Anything could be listening in here-"

"We want to be heard, Harry," Estella said quietly, as Umbridge jogged noisily after them. "Mione has a plan..."